Bald Eagle and American flag

Veteran & Military Family Services

The University of Rochester encourages and supports past and present military service members and their families as they work toward their higher education goals. Veterans and dependents who choose Rochester pursue their academics at one of the nation’s most rigorous, top-tier research universities.

Rochester is annually recognized as a Best College for Veterans for its efforts to ensure service members face minimal barriers in attaining higher education. Rochester also participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program and has a Veterans Alliance group. Veterans and their dependents have access to many resources to help navigate any hurdles.

If you have any questions, please email the Veteran and Military Family Services Office or call us at (585) 275-8592.


To become a student at the University of Rochester in the undergraduate College of Arts, Sciences and Engineering, you must apply either as a first-year or a transfer applicant.

To apply as a transfer, you must have completed at least two college-level courses. The average transfer applicant has completed a year of full-time courses (24–32 credits) before enrolling.

Rochester has a holistic review process and will consider all applicants in our review. Students can start the application process by applying through the Common Application or the Coalition for College Application.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Rocky holding an American flag with a veteran banner

The University of Rochester is pleased to announce that all qualified, admissible, post-9/11 veterans of the United States Armed Forces admitted to the University will receive Yellow Ribbon (formerly Rochester Pledge) funding.

Yellow Ribbon, in combination with the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and any additional University funding, will cover full tuition for veterans who are eligible for the 100 percent benefit rate.

The University is proud to have no limit to the number of eligible students that can use Yellow Ribbon, helping ensure that those who have served honorably and sacrificed so much for their country face no financial barriers in attaining a higher education.

To be considered for Yellow Ribbon, you must apply for education benefits through the VA and provide proof of education benefits (e.g., statement of benefits from, certificate of eligibility, or a screenshot from eBenefits) to the University of Rochester. If you wish to be considered for additional assistance, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS PROFILE.

Yellow Ribbon Program participants include:

Submitting Benefits

Proof of education benefits should be sent to the University of Rochester’s Veteran and Military Services Office to This proof should be submitted after you’ve accepted your offer to come to the University.

Veterans Resources Directory

Admissions Offices

Pat Toporzycki

Director of Veteran and Military Family Services

115 Wallis Hall
PO Box 270251
Rochester, NY 14627-0251

Phone: (585) 275-8592

Kate Ayers

School Certifying Official

PO Box 270251
Rochester, NY 14627-0251

Phone: (585) 275-8589

Kristina Lantzky-Eaton

Assistant Dean of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs

302 Lattimore Hall
Box 270401
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-2059 

Alexandria Duffney, MS

Director of Enrollment Services

University of Rochester, School of Nursing
Rochester, NY 14642

(585) 275-2375

Executive and Part-Time Programs

Janet Mejias, MBA

Associate Director of Professional Programs

Office of Student Engagement
PO Box 270100
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-3439

Full-Time Students

Andrew Brayda

Senior Associate Director of Admissions

245 Gleason Hall
PO Box 270107
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-3533

Pamela Black-Colton

Executive Director of Admissions
Warner School of Education

LeChase Hall 244
PO Box 270425
Rochester, NY 14627-0425

(585) 275-6338

Academic Advising, Tutoring & Mentoring

Kate McKenna

Assistant Director, Coordinator of Transfer Student Advising

312 Lattimore Hall
PO Box 270402
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-2354

Nick Valentino

Academic Counselor
Hajim School of Engineering & Applied Sciences

301A Lattimore Hall
PO Box 270076
Rochester, NY  14627

(585) 276-7802

Rachel Remmel

Assistant Dean and Director

1-154 Dewey Hall
Rochester, NY 14627

Phone: (585) 275-9049

Ellen Cole

Senior Career Advisor

4-200 Dewey Hall
Rochester, NY 14627

Phone: (585) 275-2366

Karen Ely

Director of Housing Operations

020 Gates Hall (Susan B. Anthony Halls)
PO Box 270468
Rochester, NY 14627-0468

Phone: (585) 275-3166

Nathan S. York

Captain, United States Navy
Commanding Officer, NROTC Unit Rochester
Professor of Naval Science

Morey Hall 100
PO Box 270436
Rochester, NY 14627-0436

Office: (585) 275-4276
Cell: (757) 651-4761

Jessica Guzman-Rea, EdD, LMSW

Director, Intercultural Center

501D Wilson Commons
PO Box 270415
Rochester, NY 14627-0443

(484) 275-6662

Health, Wellness & Counseling

University Health Services

738 Library Road
PO Box 270358
Rochester, NY 14627

Phone: (585) 275-3113

Lynnett Van Slyke, CRC

University Intercessor & Disability Compliance Director

36 Wallis Hall
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-9125

Financial Services

Christina Schmidt

Assistant Director
Financial Aid Office

PO Box 270251
Rochester, NY 14627

Phone: (585) 275-3226

Tina Berds

Assistant Director

26 Gibbs Street
Rochester, NY 14604

Phone: (585) 274-1070

Carol C. Veltre

Medical School Registrar
Offices for Medical Education
School of Medicine and Dentistry

Box 601
601 Elmwood Avenue
Rochester, NY 14642

Phone: (585) 275-4541

Nancy Anderson

Associate Bursar

330 Meliora Hall
Rochester, NY 14627

(585) 275-5817

Additional Resources

Department of Veterans Affairs 
General information for US veterans.

Veterans Online Application Website
The website is an official US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website that enables veterans to apply for benefits online.

Veterans Outreach Center
Information to assist and support the needs of veterans.

National Military Family Association
Information to educate military families about their rights and the services available to them.

NEWS: Rochester Expands Resources for Veterans

Veterans Day Portrait Gallery

Common Questions

What educational benefit is best for me?

Detailed information about education benefit options is available at

I am a veteran. How do I apply for my veteran’s educational benefits?

  1. Apply for educational benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
  2. Notify the University of Rochester’s Veteran and Military Family Services Office that you are eligible and applying for veteran’s educational benefits.

I am the dependent of a veteran. How do I apply for my veteran’s educational benefits?

  1. Your parent transfers a portion—or all—of his/her benefit to you through Transfer of Entitlement.
  2. After the transfer is approved, you apply for the educational benefit.
  3. You notify the Veteran and Military Services Office that you are eligible and applying for veteran’s educational benefits.

What documentation does the Veteran and Military Family Services (VMFS) Office need from me to process my veteran’s educational benefits?

VMFS needs proof of education benefits, which can be submitted one of the following ways:

  • Statement of benefits from
  • Certificate of eligibility
  • Screenshot from your eBenefits page

In addition to proof of benefits, VMFS needs a completed UR Education Benefit Form for the semester you wish to be certified.

How do I submit my proof of education benefits?

Please email

Whom do I call about the status of my educational benefits claim?

Call 1-888-442-4551 to speak with an Educational Case Manager at the VA.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

For an overview of the program, please visit the Yellow Ribbon Program page on the VA website.

How do I qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program?

You or your parent must qualify for 100 percent of the Post-9/11 GI Bill to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

What University of Rochester schools or divisions participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The participating University schools or divisions include:

  • Arts, Sciences & Engineering
  • Eastman School of Music
  • Simon Business School
  • Warner School of Education
  • School of Nursing

Helpful Links