Employer FAQ

How many hours per week are students permitted to work?

The University recommends no more than 20 hours per week during the academic year. Up to 40 hours during breaks and summer.

International students are only permitted to work 20 hours per week during the academic year. For more information, please contact ISO.

How do I find a student's Federal Work Study?

If a student is awarded Work Study, you can view the award in JobLink in each student’s profile. The award amount is updated every two weeks after payroll process.

Do I have to keep track of students' Work Study earnings?

It is recommended to check students’ profiles and award amounts regularly. Keep in mind that students with more than one job will use Work Study funds quicker. We recommend asking students if they have more than one position.

Why is my student hire still 'pending' in JobLink?

A pending status in JobLink can mean several things:

  • A student has not completed their I-9. You can verify this on a student’s profile in JobLink.
  • A student has not completed their WTPA or Missed Meal Acknowledgement. You can verify these in the placements of each position.
  • A student has not submitted a resume. All level II positions and above require a resume (the Student Employment staff verify each resume).

How do students complete an I-9?

  1. Students complete Part I on their own using newi9.com. Our employer code is 11968. Our employer location is 100000-Student Workers.
  2. Student must complete Part II with the Student Employment Office (Wallis Hall), the Financial Aid Office or Human Resources at the Eastman School of Music, or with the Human Resources Service Center (Brooks Landing) to verify their documentation.
  3. The documents must be original. No copies will be accepted.
  4. More information on employment verification forms can be found on the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services site.

Can students work through the summer?

Current students can maintain employment through the summer. Graduating students must be hired through HR or Strong Staffing.