Meliora letters spelled out in front of Rush Rhees Library

How to Apply

The University of Rochester employs a holistic application review process to identify curious, capable and engaged students from across the globe. We seek to understand each applicant’s academic ability, extracurricular engagement, and ethical character in order to determine their ability to improve both their campus and the world around them. We are a diverse institution that values equality of opportunity and honest, respectful examination of ideas. We seek young leaders who will celebrate and protect the values of our University and join us in making the world ever better.

Read our COVID-19 FAQ.

First-Year Students

Begin Your Application

  1. Apply online through the Common Application (CA) or the Coalition for College Application (CoA)

Please note, if you’re interested in studying solely at the University of Rochester’s Eastman School of Music for a bachelor of music degree, you must apply directly through the Eastman application and should not submit either the Common Application or Coalition for College Application.

Admissions Handbook

For detailed guidance on the undergraduate application process to University of Rochester download our Admissions Handbook.

Submit Your Supporting Materials

The following material must be submitted to us directly by your school, testing site, or family member, depending on the document.

Required Documents

  • Secondary school transcript
  • Teacher recommendation (one required)
  • School report/counselor recommendation
  • Mid-year report (when available)
  • Final transcript (when available)
  • College transcript (if applicable)

Optional Materials

  • Complete the Net Price Calculator and the MyinTuition Calculator to consider if Early Decision is a viable option for you.
  • Submit your application by November 1.
  • You, your parent/guardian, and a school counselor must complete and sign the Early Decision Confirmation Agreement in the application portal you’ve chosen.*

*If you have already submitted the Early Decision Confirmation Agreement through your application portal and it is still missing in MyROC, please have your counselor complete and email the PDF to

You are considered an international student if you are not a United States Citizen or Permanent Resident. As an international student, there are some additional documents you must submit to be considered for admission to Rochester.

Admissions counselors conduct a holistic review, considering a variety of factors, including many kinds of academic records. The self-directed curriculum makes Rochester an attractive and appropriate choice for students who have a home school education. Readers seek to understand how home-schooled applicants have also learned from a variety of people and experiences.


To supplement the basic application components, home-educated students must submit a comprehensive description of the program of study, including:

  • Syllabi with textbooks, where applicable, and a list of all completed literary texts.
  • A description of instruction methods and assessment for laboratory sciences.
  • A brief (100–200 words) personal statement reflecting on the value of the home schooling experience.
  • At least four years each of English, mathematics, and history/social studies, and three years each of science and foreign language. (Most admitted students will have completed these years of study in these areas.)
  • Evidence of preparation through exam results.
  • Any transcripts from accredited colleges or universities. (Most successful home-schooled applicants have completed college-level course work.)

Subjective Requirements

  • At least one, and preferably two, letters of recommendation from outside instructors, volunteer or group supervisors, or employers.
  • A peer recommendation from someone not more than one year older or younger.
  • A request for an on-campus, off-campus, Skype, or telephone interview with an admissions counselor (before December 15 of your senior/application year).

Graduation Requirements

Graduation requirements typically set forth by the state in which home school students reside meet the academic requirements to be considered for admission. Most states require at least four years of English, three years of mathematics, four years of history/social studies, three years of science, and three years of a foreign language. Home schooled students should check their respective state requirements for graduation. If for any reason the curriculum differs from what a student has taken, an explanation into what the student has chosen versus what the state requires for graduation should be explained.

Home schooled students, like all Rochester applicants, can qualify for need-based financial aid and/or compete for merit scholarships.

There is no separate application supplement for any of the Combined Degree Programs.

To be considered for one of these programs, indicate the program you’re applying for in the application portal you’ve chosen. Counselors will consider your entire application along with any additional supporting materials (transcripts, recommendations, etc.).

Submit Your Financial Aid Application

We understand that the decision to invest in a quality education is substantial. That’s why we provide a sound program of need-based financial assistance. Typical packages include scholarships, grants, loans, work study, and outside awards.

Undergraduates applying as US citizens or eligible non-citizens for must submit the FAFSA for federal funding and the CSS Profile for University funding. Additional items may be requested once a financial aid counselor begins to review your application.

Check Your Application Status

Use MyROC regularly after you’ve submitted application materials to make sure we have everything on file. Please note that it can take up to two weeks for some paperwork to be manually processed.

Transfer Students

Fall 2020 transfer applications are closed for submission.

Applications for Spring 2021 and Fall 2021 will be launched for submissions in August.

Application data from Common Application and Coalition Application will be sent to us at the end of August. Review of spring applications  is anticipated to start in the middle of September and for fall in early March. 

Begin Your Application

  1. Apply online through the Common Application (CA) or the Coalition for College Application (CoA)
  2. Complete the corresponding supplement built in your selected application portal.

Note: You can only apply to Combined Degree Programs if you are applying for fall semester consideration. Transfers can be considered for GEAR, GRADE, and HEAL (not DDE, DDN, or REMS). Applications to Eastman and the College are separate due to different deadlines. 

Submit Your Supporting Material

The following material must be submitted to us directly by your school, testing site, or family member, depending on the document.

Required Documents

  • Official college transcript(s)
  • Final high school transcript*
  • College Report (CA or CoA)
  • Academic Evaluator recommendation (1 Required)
  • Course-by-Course Credential Evaluation of college transcripts (required if college education has been outside the US).  Acceptable outside companies to use for the evaluation are: World Education Services (WES) or Education Credential Evaluators (ECE).  Please ensure you’ve requested your reports to be sent to Rochester upon completion.
  • If applying for Financial Aid, students should be submitting the FAFSA and CSS Profile at the same time as applying. More information on applying for Financial Aid can be found here.

*If you have completed at least one year of full-time college coursework, you may request this item to be waived after applying. However, sending more information can only improve your chances of admission.

Optional Material

**Highly recommended for students who have completed less than a year of college, suggested for others. 

As an international student there are some additional documents you must submit in order to be considered for admission to the University of Rochester.

The College of Arts, Sciences and Engineering has a dual admissions agreement program with Monroe Community College. You enroll in the 2+2 program through Monroe Community College and complete a set of courses for your academic interest, leading to an associate degree. You are guaranteed admission to continue your studies at the University of Rochester in your chosen major of study.

The program is best designed for first-year full-time students who know what they want to pursue. You’ll complete recommended courses of study, receive a minimum grade requirement, and transfer after two years at junior class standing.

Admissions counselors visit MCC’s Career Center every semester to advise you on your academic plans. Degree audit sheets are also available to help guide you with your course selection.

MCC 2+2 Students

If you are a current Monroe Community College Dual 2+2 student finishing the program, you must submit the following to Rochester the semester before planning to enroll as a full-time Rochester student:

  • MCC 2+2 Intent to Enroll Form*
  • Official college transcript from MCC and any other school attended
  • Official AP/IB exam results if seeking college credit
  • Midterm Grade Report (suggested)
  • A résumé and an admissions interview are recommended for those wishing to compete for potential merit scholarships.
  • If applicable, apply for financial aid

*The Intent to Enroll Form should be completed by March 15 for fall enrollment and October 1 for spring enrollment at Rochester.

Rochester offers 2+2 programs in the following academic areas:

  • African & African American Studies
  • Anthropology
  • Art History
  • Biology
  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Business
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Electrical and Computer Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • English
  • History
  • Mathematics
  • Optics
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Religion
  • Studio Arts

Some of our Engineering 2+2 program requirements have you cross-registering for courses at Rochester while enrolled at Monroe Community College. These cross-registration courses are processed through the Rochester Area Colleges (RAC) Inter-Institutional program agreement. When taking cross-registration courses, you’ll follow the RAC procedures on the Registrar’s site.

If you’re a current Eastman School of Music student looking to add a dual degree with the College, you must complete the ESM Intent to Enroll Form.

  • Fall Enrollment: Complete Intent to Enroll Form by May 1
  • Spring Enrollment: Complete Intent to Enroll From by October 1

These deadlines allow us time to receive, review, and respond to your academic credentials. Beyond your intent to enroll form, we will request your high school transcript and Rochester transcript to consider your academic preparation for success in your College major.  You will receive a decision from the Office of Admissions at the College regarding your request to add a dual degree in about a month after submitting the intent form released to our MyRoc applicant portal. You must submit a reply form to confirm your enrollment in a dual degree.

If you’re looking to leave the Eastman School of Music and pursue only a degree from the College of Arts, Sciences and Engineering, you should apply as a transfer applicant following instructions for the Common or Coalition Application process.

If you’re interested in taking non-matriculated (non-degree) part-time or full-time courses at the University of Rochester, you can register for courses through the Office of Summer Programs and Continuing Studies.

No more than six non-matriculated courses taken here can be applied toward a Rochester degree.

If you’re looking to earn a degree from Rochester, you must apply for admission, be accepted, and matriculate into a degree-seeking program. You would follow the transfer application instructions and submit the Application material. You can indicate if you are seeking enrollment as a part-time or full-time student in the application.

Staff in the Office of Admissions can discuss your academic background and any future plans you may have for applying to a degree program. You can contact us at (585) 275-3221 or at

Employees: If you are a University of Rochester employee, you, and your children may be eligible for tuition benefits. Learn more.

If you a degree student at another Rochester area college looking to take a course not offered at your home institution, you’d be signing up for courses through the Rochester Area Colleges (RAC) Inter-Institutional program agreement. Do not register as a non-matriculated student through the Office of Summer Programs and Continuing Studies. You should follow the inter-institutional registration procedures.

If you are reapplying to the University of Rochester as a first-year or transfer applicant regardless of the decision, you will need to resubmit a new Common Application or Coalition Application for consideration.

  • Once you submit the application please check your application status to ensure everything arrives and is updated.
  • If there is material (recommendation, transcript, or resume) from your previous that you’d like us to use for your new application please email us at
  • New supporting documents may include a final high school transcript, updated college transcript, new recommendations, an updated résumé, or a Transfer Midterm Grade Report.

Transfer Reapplication

If you have or are enrolled at another university, you would be considered a transfer student regardless of whether it is your first term. The average transfer applicant has completed at least a year of full-time courses (24–32 credits) before enrolling.

Past Student at Rochester

If you were a student at the University of Rochester and either withdrew in good standing or were separated from the University, you do not reapply through the Office of Admissions. Instructions and policies regarding readmission to the College can be found with the College Center for Advising Services.

Submit Your Financial Aid Application

We understand that the decision to invest in a quality education is substantial. That’s why we provide a sound program of need-based financial assistance. Typical packages include scholarships, grants, loans, work study, and outside awards.

Undergraduate transfer students applying as US citizens or eligible non-citizens for must submit the FAFSA for federal funding and the CSS Profile for University funding. So that there is not a hold up in review, please submit these items at the same time as completing your admissions application material. Additional items may be requested once a financial aid counselor begins to review your application.

Check Your Application Status

Use MyROC regularly after you’ve submitted application materials to make sure we have everything on file. Please note that it can take up to two weeks for some paperwork to be manually processed.


Commonly Asked Questions

The University of Rochester benefactor, entrepreneur, photography pioneer and philanthropist George Eastman said, “The progress of the world depends almost entirely upon education.” With the statement in mind, how will you use your University of Rochester experience to foster positive change in order to make the world, your community, and those around you “ever better”?

Additionally, you have the ability to build your individual supplemental response through an essay, creative, or research response.

If you have graduated from high school or earned a high school equivalency, and have enrolled in eight or more college credits following graduation, you would be considered a transfer applicant. Applicants who are most competitive for transfer admission will have completed at least a year of college courses (24–32 credits) at the time of applying.

If you have graduated from high school more than two years ago but have not taken college level classes, you are considered a first-year applicant. You may be more competitive for admissions by taking some college courses and then applying as a transfer. Every applicant’s situation is different and you may want to contact us about your circumstances.

If you are obtaining a high school diploma and or an associate degree through a dual-enrollment or “early college” program, you will be considered as a first-year applicant because you have not officially graduated from high school. College courses can be considered for transfer credit if the courses were taken on a college campus. First-year applicants can only accelerate graduation by one semester. 

A number of applicants may qualify for an application fee waiver. When using the Common or Coalition Application, you may be eligible for a waiver based upon need criteria that is determined based upon your response to questions. There is also waivers issued by Rochester based upon the additional criteria that can be selected in our member questions if you fit additional criteria:

  • For students eligible with a NACAC Request for Transfer Admissions Application Fee Waiver
  • For Phi Theta Kappa members
  • For Veterans or Active Duty military
  • For students in a New York State Opportunity program (HEOP, EOP, SEEK, or College Discovery)
  • For applicants who attended high school within the Rochester or Syracuse City School District
  • For applicants who participated with the Hillside Work Scholars Program
  • For students who have received approval based upon financial hardship from a Rochester Admissions Counselor

There are no minimum requirements for admission to the University of Rochester. Your application is reviewed using a committee process that entails a comprehensive evaluation.

For the fall of 2019, the typical student gaining admission to Rochester:

  • Took challenging college courses
  • Maintained a median college GPA of 3.6
  • Has started or is prepared to explore classes within their major area of interest
  • Joined as incoming sophomores or juniors based on awarded transfer credits
  • Demonstrated an active, independent role in their educational, personal, and community activities

We value unquantifiable strengths such as initiative, creativity, enthusiasm, openness, motivation, and leadership, and we’re also careful to ensure our student body represents the full spectrum of diversity, including hometowns, ideas, and experiences.

The College Report collects information about your standing at your current institution. A dean, registrar, advisor, or other college official who has access to your academic and disciplinary records can complete this report. You may need to inquire at your institution to determine who can submit this report for you. The College Report is a required item (starting for Spring 2020) for transfer applicants. If you are unable to have one completed please consult with Admissions.

It takes about four to six weeks to review an application and notify you of the decision. Review of September (fall) semester applications begins in March, with notification beginning in late March. Review of January (spring) semester applications begins in late September, with notification beginning in late October. You are encouraged to complete your application by the priority deadline to receive earlier notification. If you complete your application after the priority deadline, you will be reviewed and notified on a rolling basis. Notification may take longer if we need to request additional information.

Rochester communicates with students a number of ways. All students’ decisions will be posted to your MyROC applicant portal. You’ll receive an email when a decision has been made and posted. Please check your applicant portal to ensure your contact information is accurate and to follow your application through the review stages. For those admitted to Rochester along with the decision there will be copy of your transfer credit evaluation released at the time of acceptance based upon completed and any in progress courses.

Rochester highly encourages you to interview. An interview with a Rochester representative is a great way to talk about your background, experiences, and interests. Rochester students are so much more than just pieces of paper, and we want to take the time to get to know you. Notes from interviews are used in our review, so interviews should be complete by the time your application is submitted for our review. Interviews can help us get to know you better and help with merit scholarship consideration.

If you want to enroll for the fall semester, interview in the spring. If you want to enroll in the spring, interview in the summer or fall.

Yes. All applicants are considered for merit-based scholarships. Rochester receives applications from many qualified students, but not every admitted student will receive a scholarship. You are considered holistically for potential merit scholarships and about 40% of admitted transfer students will receive a scholarship. An average transfer scholarship amount is $10,000 per year of study, but there are higher amounts awarded. If you are awarded a merit based scholarship, it will be included in your admissions decision letter.

Your financial aid package will be emailed to you a week after your admission offer has been released, as long as the Financial Aid Office has all of the required documents to complete the package. If you are applying for aid, you should complete your FAFSA and CSS PROFILE at the same time you are submitting your application for admission, so that the financial aid process is not held up. In addition to the FAFSA and CSS Profile, Rochester collects tax information through the College Board’s IDOC Service. If you have questions regarding aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

A detailed pre-enrollment Transfer Credit Evaluation will be included with admissions information mailed to you. Credit is awarded for courses comparable to those offered at Rochester in which you have earned a C or better. All courses come in as elective credit. If you’re looking to have courses approved for specific major or minor requirements, you will need to gain further approval from your chosen academic department. Students often speak with departments during orientation to get approvals if they know what major they want to declare. The College Center for Advising Services provides additional information regarding transfer credit policies and cluster requirements for transfers.

Credit can be awarded for the following official exam results for Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and A-level exams.

Credit is not grant transfer credit for American Council on Education (ACE), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), or DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST).

Some Rochester academic departments (languages and mathematics) have placement exams available to help advise students proper course sequencing placement. Consult with the academic department if you have a question about course placement based upon your foundation.

Graduation year and class standing is determined by the number of credit hours granted at the time of entrance. The class year gives you an idea of how long it would take you to earn the minimum of 128 credit hours to complete a degree at Rochester. Graduation class year may change depending on your academic foundation for an intended major (especially true for engineering, computer science, digital media studies, and public health) or course of study.

You are encouraged to speak with an academic department adviser about any questions regarding major course equivalences. Faculty identified as department contacts can be found on the Authorized Approval List.

The table below illustrates the number of credit hours associated with each class standing.

Class Fall Term Spring Term
First Year 0–23 8–39
Sophomore 24–55 40–71
Junior 56–87 72–99
Senior 88+ 100

Rochester does require students to maintain full-time enrollment for at least 4 semesters in order to obtain a degree. Depending on how many credits student come in with the Enrollment Policy dictates how many semesters you’d have to be a student to earn the minimum of 128 credits required for graduation.

A maximum of 64 credit hours from a two-year school may transfer to your Rochester degree requirements. If you are transferring from a four-year school, you may transfer more than 64 credits. However, students must complete at least four full-time semesters at Rochester in order to obtain a degree.

Yes. You can apply as a transfer student to obtain a second degree. The degree must be in a completely different area of study than your first degree and might not be advised depending on your goals. The College may not be able to award a second degree if your are looking for a second BA degree. Second degree students receive little in financial support and it might be best for you to consider a graduate program. You are encouraged to speak with an admissions counselor and potentially a graduate department head about your plans and goals.

Yes. Transfer applicants must be currently enrolled in a HEOP, EOP, SEEK or College Discovery program and meet regular admission standards as a transfer applicant. In addition, there must be space available in our program and you need to provide documentation verifying your eligibility. HEOP counselors are available to assist you with questions about the program and potential openings. For more information, please call (585) 275-0651 or visit Rochester’s program for more information.

Yes. However, the nursing program is not an entry-level program. You must have either an RN license or a bachelor’s degree and apply directly to the School of Nursing. For more information, please contact the School of Nursing.

Fantastic! Once you have enrolled, you will receive email communications from Admissions with the next steps for new students. You will get a lot of information to read through, forms to complete, and additional information about Orientation and Advising leading up to the term you are joining us. Course registration happens after you’ve met with your assigned college advisor. If you are looking to get a jump-start on things, be sure to monitor Orientation website to monitor the most up to date information.


The University of Rochester is deeply committed to building an inclusive, accessible, and diverse community of faculty, staff, and students. In that spirit, we welcome first-year and transfer students who represent differences in religious beliefs, socioeconomic backgrounds, values, and points of view; they may be physically different, have different intellectual interests, or have different abilities. This also includes non-US citizens and undocumented students—with or without Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Get more information.

The University of Rochester is committed to meeting 100% of the demonstrated need of all admitted students. Undocumented students are considered for need-based financial like any other US citizen or permanent resident. Undocumented students are also considered for merit scholarships!

Applying for Admission

Undocumented students should follow the same application procedure for all domestic (not international) applicants to the University of Rochester. View our application requirements. You can apply under any admissions round (Early Decision, Regular Decision, transfer) regardless of citizenship status. Early Decision is a binding process in which you agree to enroll if admitted. Because we offer need-based financial aid, applying Early Decision or Regular Decision will not affect the amount of financial aid you receive.

Begin Your Application

  1. Apply online through the Common Application (CA) or the Coalition for College Application.

Please note, if you’re interested in studying solely at the University of Rochester’s Eastman School of Music for a bachelor of music degree, you must apply directly through the Eastman application and should not submit either the Common Application or Coalition for College Application.

Applying for Financial Aid

Because federal financial aid is not available for undocumented students, Rochester provides institutional financial aid in its place. Therefore, a FAFSA is not required to apply for aid; however, undocumented students must file the International Student CSS Profile.

  1. Complete the International Student CSS Profile. If you qualified for a fee waiver for the SAT, you will automatically qualify for a fee waiver for the CSS Profile.
  2. If you and/or your parents/guardians file taxes, send required financial documents directly to IDOC. (The citizenship status of your parents/guardians does not affect your eligibility to receive financial aid from Rochester.)
  3. If you and/or your parents/guardians do not file or will not file taxes, fill out a Nontax Filer Statement (found on the IDOC website) and send it directly to IDOC.
  4. Complete your financial aid application on time! Deadlines vary for Early Decision, Regular Decision, and transfer students. Visit our financial aid website for more information.

CSS Profile applications are available online starting October 1, 2018 for the 2019–2020 academic year. Please reach out to our International Financial Aid Counselor and undocumented/DACA support contact at should you have any further questions.

The University has support services in place for students who identify as undocumented, DACA, or DACAmented. Get more information on services available.