Need-based grants (also known as gift aid) may be included in your financial aid award if you have need remaining after self-help (student employment and need-based loan) and Rochester merit scholarships are subtracted from your need.

The Pell Grant is a federal program designed to assist students whose families demonstrate the highest need.

FSEOG is a joint program between the federal government and the University to provide additional funding to those students whose families demonstrate the highest need.

TAP is a New York State grant program based on a family’s taxable income and the student’s level of study. In addition to the FAFSA, a separate TAP application is required by the state. The UR TAP filing code is 1015.

HEOP is a joint program between New York State and the University to provide grant funding for admitted state residents coming from disadvantaged socioeconomic and educational backgrounds. For more information, contact your high school guidance counselor or call the University’s HEOP office at (585) 275-0651.

Certain states outside New York will allow their grant programs to be used at schools in New York. Contact your state agency for more information.

In addition to the various federal and state grant programs, the University of Rochester commits significant funding to its own need-based grant program.

The University benefits from the income of many endowed/named scholarships. These funds help subsidize overall institutional student aid and allow for the University to plan, in advance, for a generous financial aid budget consisting of both merit- and need-based scholarships and grants.  Receiving a named scholarship is an extraordinary honor. Made possible through the generous support of alumni, parents, friends, foundations, and corporations, these awards recognize academic achievement and other criteria designated by the donor, as well as financial need.