Below are the financial aid application requirements for graduate students at the University of Rochester interested in applying for financial aid for the 2017–18 academic year. Additional items may be requested once a financial aid counselor begins to review your application. Any subsequent requests for information will be emailed directly to your University email address.

It’s important to meet the deadline listed below and to respond promptly to all additional requests for information. Current graduate students can check their FAOnline account to confirm what is required and what has been received.

Contact our office with questions.

Application Requirements

Deadline What We Need
March 15,
12:00 am ET
All students applying for federal assistance must submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

Our school code is 002894. The FAFSA is used to help determine your eligibility for all federal aid programs.

There is a useful tool on the FAFSA called IRS Data Retrieval, which simplifies the application process for you. Follow the instructions on the FAFSA to take advantage of this option.

Types of Aid

Tuition scholarships are granted by the University of Rochester department to which the student is applying. These typically cover a specific percentage of tuition costs and are based on merit. Domestic and International students are eligible for these awards.

An assistantship is a form of financial assistance provided to graduate students in support of the student’s program, through either research assistantships or teaching assistantships.

Graduate fellowships are recognized nationally as a means to acknowledge and support outstanding graduate students in pursuit of their advanced degree objectives.

Employer tuition benefits may be available to you. Contact your employer’s benefits office for details. You are required to notify your financial aid counselor of any expected tuition benefits.

Our students are often excellent candidates for outside scholarships. Look to family employers, local foundations, clubs, and community agencies for scholarship opportunities. Students are required to notify our office of any outside scholarships that will be received during the academic year.

To be eligible for federal student loans, you must be:

  • US citizens or permanent residents.
  • Matriculated.
  • Enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours per term) in a degree-granting program.

Please note: Audited courses do not count in determining enrollment status.

Pay attention to the academic year dates when applying for federal loans. For financial aid purposes, an academic year starts in the fall semester/quarter and extends through the summer of the following year. Depending on when you will be enrolling in your program, multiple applications may be required.

For example, if you start a program in the summer term, you will need to complete two FAFSAs, as your enrollment will cross two academic years. You’ll need to complete one FAFSA for the summer term, the end of one academic year, and one FAFSA for the fall term, the beginning of a new academic year. Fall 2017 is the start of the 2017-2018 academic year.

Review additional information on the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan option, including interest rates, fees, and borrowing limits on the Loans page.

Graduate students can borrow a PLUS Loan to help pay for their education expenses as long as they:

  • Have already applied for their annual federal Direct Student Loans.
  • Are matriculated in a master’s or PhD program (certificate programs are excluded).
  • Are enrolled at least half time (at least 6 credit hours per term).

Review additional information on the Graduate PLUS loan option, including interest rates, fees, and borrowing limits on the Loans page.

State educational loans:

  • Are available to both undergraduate and graduate students (and possibly to parents and relatives), as long as the student is matriculated and enrolled at least half time in a degree program.
  • Are credit-based and offer interest rates and terms that may be competitive with PLUS loans and alternative loans.
  • May have both fixed and variable interest rates available, depending on the state.

Review additional information on the State Educational Loan options on the Loans page.

These educational loans are offered by banks and educational lenders as a supplement to (not a replacement for) federal student loans. Alternative loans may also be referred to as “private educational” or “supplemental” loans, as they are not affiliated with federal or state loan programs.

International students will most likely need to secure a private/alternative loan with a US cosigner. If you do not have a US cosigner, please try to obtain a loan through a bank in your native country, especially if they offer students loans in the United States.

Please note: The following types of students should speak to a financial aid counselor before pursuing alternative loans:

  • Non-matriculated
  • Students seeking to pay past-due balances
  • Students not meeting satisfactory academic progress
  • Students denied on previous alternative loan applications due to poor credit

Review additional information on the Alternative Educational Loan option on the Loans page.