As of 6 p.m. today, I will have completed my first semester at the University of Rochester. Wow! Has it been that long? Just yesterday I matriculated, arriving on campus in awe, a new transfer student, timid yet excited—Instagramming the beautiful campus every other minute. Only, it wasn't yesterday; it was August! Time flies, I suppose. We entrench ourselves in books and caffeine, and before we know it, we're playing in snow and wondering where the time went.
So, Fall '13 is done. Christmas is on its way. Bring on the PJs, hot chocolate, and Netflix (and maybe a good book). Before I go, I thought I'd offer a quick snapshot of my first semester at UR:
- Submitted a proposal to create my own degree (entrepreneurship) through Interdepartmental studies. Last week, the degree was approved.
- Began earning my minor in creative writing through the Department of English, but decided to earn a dual degree instead. The academic opportunities UR offers its students are unparalleled. I'm a double major!
- Became a blogger for the nice folks at UR Admissions.
- Started and finished my first One-Act play (for ENG 123). Even had the play read by actors. So much fun!
- Conducted research and interpreted data for a local small business. (How cool is that?)
(Photo from Justin Stimac '16)
There were some tough moments, of course. It wasn't all butterflies and daisies. But UR is always there to help, going out of its way to see students succeed. I can't wait for next semester. (Actually, I could use some hot chocolate first).
See you then!