Return to Main Page


Advising Services

College Center for Advising Services

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Located in Lattimore 312, CCAS provides academic advising, information about academic opportunities, and academic support services to undergraduates in Arts, Sciences and Engineering.

CCAS is staffed by a team of professional academic advisors who are available to meet with students on a walk-in basis as well as by appointment. The staff in CCAS prides itself on making accurate referrals when a question or problem requires the expertise of faculty members or other campus professionals or services.

The office provides information on a variety of topics, including: the Rochester Curriculum, health professions advising, independent study, declaring a major or minor, course planning, Advanced Placement credit, the Take Five Scholars Program, the KEY Program, registration, probation, tutoring, and transfer credit.

The Dean of Freshmen, whose office is located in CCAS, is responsible for assigning pre-major advisors to each entering student. Each freshman and sophomore in the College works with his or her pre-major advisor beginning at Orientation and until the end of the sophomore year, unless the student is accepted into a major earlier.

If you have taken courses on a college campus that were taught by college faculty, either as part of your high school program or during the summer, please send a transcript by July 1 to:

College Center for Advising Services
University of Rochester
PO Box 270402
Rochester, New York 14627

Transfer students should review their credit evaluation, consult with academic departments, and review the Registrar’s website, to develop an academic plan prior to Orientation. All incoming students will register for courses at Orientation.

Junior transfers and those with 50 or more credits entering Rochester in September are encouraged to schedule a pre-orientation advising appointment with CCAS between June 16 and August 8 and work towards declaring their major soon after starting. To arrange an appointment, call (585) 275-2354.

The Authorized Signature List is a resource for students to contact departments for approval of credits if needed. To access the list, click here. During Orientation, there will be an Academic Open House where you can secure signatures and approval for transfer courses you may want to use for your major. It is a good idea to be prepared to provide course descriptions, your transfer credit evaluation, and a copy of your college transcript for major course approval.

Once in a major, a faculty advisor from the student’s major department takes on the responsibility of the student’s primary academic advising. Students interested in engineering often work with the same advisor throughout their undergraduate years. It is not unusual for students seeking academic advice to consult with a professional advisor in CCAS as well as a pre-major advisor. The Dean of Freshmen and the Dean of Sophomores are also available to assist students with academic matters.

Phone: (585) 275-2354


Office of the Bursar

The Office of the Bursar is located in Meliora Hall.

Student Billing Information 

Payment Agreements
All students are required to submit a payment agreement prior to registration for classes.

This payment agreement should be submitted no later than June 10, 2015 at

If you do not know your NetID, click on What is NetID?/Help. On the next screen, you will be prompted to set up your NetID. When prompted, please indicate that you are a matriculated student. In the last field, “Electronic Signature,” please type your full name.

You may change your payment option or billing address at any time by submitting a new payment agreement online. These requests must come from you. You are responsible for notifying the Bursar’s Office when your billing address changes. You are also responsible for all late payment fees resulting from delays in the delivery of the statement.

Note: your first bill will go out on July 20, 2015 with a due date of August 10, 2015.

Payment Plans
The University offers undergraduate students several options for payment of tuition and fees for the academic year, including a Prepaid Tuition Plan.  Detailed information is available at (click on “Student Payment Plans”).

Tuition and Fees
A schedule of tuition and fees can be found at

Billing Statement
The student billing statement is viewed online from your Blackboard account; you should have access to Blackboard by the end of June at Log in and click on UR ePAY on the left. Students receive an email each month when the new billing statement is available. Students can authorize parents (or guardians, spouses, or third parties) to view and pay their bills by following the instructions on the Authorize Payers page. Be sure to include an email address so your Authorized Payer will receive email notifications each month when a new statement is posted online. Students are responsible for viewing their billing statement online each month. Paper bills will not be sent.

Electronic billing is the official method of billing. 

You and your family may pay online using UR ePAY. We accept electronic check payments, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Please note that you will be charged a non-refundable 2.75% service fee for any credit card payment. There is no charge for electronic check payments. You may submit check payments by mail, if you prefer, or via wire transfer. All check payments must be in U.S. funds and drawn from a U.S. bank. Wire transfer instructions are found in Blackboard on the “My Accounts” tab.

Please note: Payments made via an online bill payment service (other than UR ePAY) are converted to a paper check when submitted to the University. Please allow extra time for processing.

For more information regarding UR ePAY, visit

Additional information will be sent to you in July.

Dining Services

Dining Services

Danforth Dining Hall

Our Mission – Food for All
The University of Rochester offers a first-class dining program with locations varying in style, menu, atmosphere, and hours of operation to meet the needs of a diverse student and faculty population.

With thirteen unique locations, we cater to a wide variety of dietary needs and choices including Kosher, Halal, gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian meals. We rely heavily on student input and feedback to keep our menus current and our patrons satisfied.

Through high quality food and customer service, we are proud to deliver a unique combination of diversity and value for your dining dollar.

Dietary Needs and Food Allergies
Through a strong partnership between the Campus Nutritionist and the University Health Service, we make every effort to accommodate the special dietary requirements of every student with a diverse selection of dining options.  But we can’t do it alone.  Students with special dietary needs or food allergies should contact University of Rochester Dining Services at (585) 273-4805 and schedule time to meet with the Campus Nutritionist and Dining Staff to help them navigate our locations and offerings.

Kosher and Halal Dining
While we do not currently feature a Kosher or Halal specific Meal Plan, we work closely with students to make sure that they have a meal plan that best suits their dining needs.  In addition to our Kosher deli and the menu options available in our dining locations, we also offer a wide variety of Kosher and Halal frozen and pre-packaged items in our Hillside Market convenience store.

Vegan and Vegetarian Meals
Voted one of the nation’s Top 10 Vegan Friendly Small American Colleges by PETA2 (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) we are proud to say that we have once again expanded our broad menu of vegan and vegetarian menu items.  In addition to our standard menu offerings, we operate a dedicated vegan station in Danforth Dining Center and participate in the  national Meatless Monday campaign.

Meal Plans
Meal plans are sold per semester. Declining Balance dollars roll over from the fall semester to the spring semester, meal plans do not.

Dining Contract
The University offers a variety of meal plans and other electronic spending options.

The details of the dining and electronic spending options, costs, requirements, and policies are described in the insert Dining Services 2015-2016 Meal Plan Options & Pricing, which is included in the Residential Life contract book and at

Dining Plans for Transfer Students Living Off Campus

Value of Having a Meal Plan Membership
In addition to 14 great locations, great quality, variety, and convenience, University of Rochester Dining Services also…

  • currently purchases over 40% of all items prepared and sold on campus from local sources within New York State
  • purchases fair-trade coffee for our coffeehouses
  • promotes the use of reusable mugs by offering a discount on coffee and tea refills
  • buys in bulk to reduce waste in landfills
  • offers a reusable clam shell program to reduce packaging waste
  • donates used fryer oil to the biodiesel project that coverts the oil to biodiesel fuel for one of the  buses that transports students and staff around campus
  • supports sustainable food and agriculture
  • recycles cardboard, cans, bottles, and paper
  • supports and encourages Earth-Friendly Procurement
  • uses green cleaning products
  • has web-based nutritional information and a nutritionist available by appointment

University of Rochester Dining Halls 

Douglass Dining Center
Second Floor, Frederick Douglass Bldg.

Douglass Dining Center provides delicious options at every turn.  Visit the Kosher deli for a specialty sandwich or an expanded selection of kosher entrees. Visit the international Noodle Bowl Bar or grab a campus favorite from one of the eight unique stations to enjoy in the large communal dining room.

Cash , Credit, Declining Balance dollars, URos, and the Pass Plans are accepted.

Danforth Dining Center
First Floor, Susan B. Anthony Halls

Our Fresh Food Company offers fresh, made-to-order options 7 days a week.  At this residential, all-you-care-to-eat facility, each station features an inspired menu option that can be customized to your preference and provides access to specialty stations designed to satisfy unique dietary needs and preferences (vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, Halal)

Cash , Credit, Declining Balance dollars, URos, and the Pass Plans are accepted.

The Commons
First Floor, Wilson Commons

This food court offers a variety of delicious choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Choose from bagels, cut fruit, and breakfast sandwiches in the morning to exciting grilled selections, pizza, Mexican, and Panda Express Chinese options throughout the day.

Credit cards, cash, Declining Balance dollars, and URos are accepted .

Eastman Dining Center
Located on the Eastman School of Music campus, this all-you-care-to-eat facility provides great variety to students. A grill, a salad bar, an exhibition station, pizza, vegetarian and vegan entrees, a deli, Kettle Classics soups, ice cream, and desserts are sure to ease your hunger.

Cash , Credit, Declining Balance dollars, URos, and the Pass Plans are accepted .

Hillside Market

Hillside Market
First Floor, Susan B. Anthony Halls

Convenience at your service, day and late night. Stop in for hot, local coffee, cold beverages, snacks, groceries, toiletries and much more!

Cash , Credit, Declining Balance dollars, and URos are accepted.

The Mel Express and Grab & Go
Fourth Floor, Frederick Douglass Building

Transformed from a full scale restaurant into a fast casual dining establishment, The Mel Express features unique items like the student favorite Mel Burger crafted using local ingredients almost exclusively.

A creation made in partnership with the Student Association the Grab & Go section offers a quick solution for students in a hurry or who want to grab a meal for later.

Cash, Credit, Declining Balance dollars, URos, and Pass Plans are accepted.


The Southside Market
Located on the ground floor of de Kiewiet Tower, the Southside Market offers a variety of convenience items. Purchase snacks, home meal replacements, cold beverages, and frozen food here.

Cash , Credit, Declining Balance dollars, and URos are accepted.

Eastman Orchestra Pit
Located on the first floor of the Eastman Campus Student Living Center, the Orchestra Pit is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining. Choose from a variety of grab-and-go options before heading off to class or order a hot entrée off of the grill. The menu includes burgers, wraps, paninis, calzones, and quesadillas.

Cash, Credit, Declining Balance dollars, and URos are accepted.

Cash, Credit, Declining Balance dollars, and URos are accepted in all coffeehouses. 

Third Floor, Wilson Commons

Need a pick-me-up on your way to class, or a place to meet with a study group?  Check out Starbucks in Wilson Commons to grab a quick latté, hang out with friends over a mocha, or enjoy a breakfast sandwich while you get some work done.

Pura Vida
Lobby, Robert B. Goergen Hall

Specializing in serving 100% organic, Fair Trade, shade-grown coffee, you’ll be sure to enjoy a freshly brewed cup at Pura Vida.  For a quick bite, a variety of baked goods and grab-and-go options are also available.

Located in Rush Rhees Library, this market and café is dedicated to sustainability. Enjoy locally grown and produced foods including soups, salads, sandwiches and baked goods along with Fair Trade coffee.

The Cave at Eastman Theatre
Enjoy local pastries and bread products, grab and go items, as well as organic, 100% shade grown coffee from Tiny Footprint.  Also, for each pound of coffee purchased, a tree is planted in Ecuador.

Additional Information 

Dining Committee
We are a student-driven department and we take each opinion, suggestion, comment, and concern into consideration. To stay in touch with the student community, we hold a monthly Dining Committee meeting where we listen to feedback from students and answer questions.

Special Events
Dining Services celebrates by holding themed events in our dining facilities. Some of the events that we celebrate include Local Foods Week, national holidays, Spirit Dinners, Yellow Jacket Weekend, Meliora Weekend, Meatless Monday, and much more. Dining Services also partners with several organizations to host and co-sponsor several events each semester.

For information throughout the year, please visit  Here you can find our daily menus, hours of operation, contact information, important dates and forms, and much more!

For answers to any questions concerning meal plans, meals, or any University of Rochester dining facility, please contact the University of Rochester Customer Service/ID Office at (585) 275-8756 or our marketing manager at (585) 275-6265.

URos Account
URos is a flexible spending account available to all students. Students activate their account by indicating a per semester deposit at the time they sign up for their dining plan or by making an initial deposit at the beginning of the academic year via cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. The URos account is accepted at all campus dining locations but is intended for use at the Corner Store, bookstores, the Common Market, Computer Sales and Services, International Theatre Program performances, the Cinema, the Post Office, and several off-campus venues , as well as for vending, copy, laundry machines, and printing services.

Refund Policy
Unused fall semester Declining Balance dollars carry forward to the spring semester. Remaining Declining Balance dollars at the close of the spring semester are nonrefundable. Refunds of unused Declining Balance dollars will be issued for any participant who withdraws from the University or whose status changes to inactive during a semester, as certified by Academic Support, the Registrar’s Office, or the appropriate dean. Refunds will be credited through the University’s Bursar statement. Meal Plan costs are also credited through the University’s Bursar statement and are subject to prorating, based upon the official date of cancellation. URos account balances will carry over from year to year, or until your permanent departure. Should you withdraw or resign at the close of a semester or upon graduation, any unused balance of $20 or more will be refunded to you.

Dining Plan Changes and Cancellations

  • Fall and spring dining plan changes and cancellations are permitted only during the designated change periods. A $25 late fee is charged for any plan-level decrease, cancellation or lateral move that is requested, except during the open change period for the spring semester.
  • Parents or legal guardians cannot make dining plan changes/cancellations for the participant. 
  • Changes or cancellations must be submitted via the Dining Plan Change/Cancellation Request form. Phone or oral requests are not accepted. 
  • Change forms are available at the Customer Service Center in Susan B. Anthony Hall or online. Eastman School of Music students can obtain a form from a dining manager at Eastman Dining Center, who will fax the completed form to the Dining Services Customer Service Center on the student’s behalf.
  • The change periods are posted online at

Contract Terms and Conditions

  1. The period of the contract corresponds to the opening and closing of the residence halls each semester. The participant will have access to his or her meal plan during that time.
  2. Fall semester contracts are automatically renewed for the spring semester unless changed or canceled during the dining plan change period.
  3. A participant whose contract is valid for the fall and spring semesters will be billed through the University’s Bursar’s Office prior to the start of each semester.
  4. It is the responsibility of the participant to specify to the cashier, prior to each meal purchase, which account to access for the transaction. “Declining” means the cost of the meal would be deducted from your Declining Balance dollars. Stating “URos” indicates the meal would be deducted from your URos Account.
  5. The participant is the only person who has the authority to request or receive account audits or balance information.
  6. Transfers cannot be made between a Declining Balance account and URos account.
  7. To help participants monitor Declining Balance dollars, members will have the opportunity to check the status and balance of their plan throughout the semester. This will provide you with helpful hints on how to best utilize the Declining Balance dollars.
  8. Additional Declining and URos dollars can be added to an existing account at any time during the term of the contract. Credit card deposits are also accepted online at Cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover is accepted at the Customer Service Center in Susan B. Anthony Halls. Deposits by phone are accepted at (585) 275-3975 or (800) 661-1118. Additional funds can be billed to the participant’s Bursar account for the fall and/or spring semester during the dining plan change period.
  9. Withdrawals/transfers are not permitted from either Declining Balance accounts or URos accounts.
  10. Unused fall semester Declining Balance dollars carry forward to the spring semester. Remaining Declining Balance dollars at the close of the spring semester are nonrefundable.
  11. Auxiliary Operations/Dining Services reserves the right to make necessary program or policy changes at any time.

Dining Plan Exceptions
Participants requesting exception from the standard dining plan policies must request and submit a Dining Plan Appeal Form to the Customer Service Center in Susan B. Anthony Halls. The request will then be forwarded to the University Dining Advisory Committee. Requests for exception will be reviewed with appropriate University authorities, which will make recommendations to the committee.

Dining Plan Appeal Forms filed for exceptions due to medical reasons must be submitted with a letter from the participant’s medical doctor on the physician’s letterhead. This request should be mailed to:

University Health Services
738 Library Road
Rochester, NY 14627

For all such requests, we ask that the student provide a description of the special diet which needs to be followed due to his/her medical condition. The request will be reviewed and recommendations will be made to the University Dining Advisory Committee. Decisions of the University Dining Advisory Committee are final. One exception per participant will be considered each academic year.

Excellence in Teaching & Learning

Center for Excellence in Teaching & Learning

CETL provides students with services that promote academic success, including collaborative workshops and study groups, disability support, and much more.

Information for Students with Disabilities

The Access Coordinators at the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) are committed to assisting students with disabilities. We encourage students with disabilities to assess their needs carefully and to make use of the services offered at CETL. Incoming students should fill out and return the disability information form found at the back of this book.

At the start of each semester, students should make an appointment with their assigned disability coordinator to discuss academic/course-related accommodations and to provide written permission to notify instructors  about the accommodations that have been approved. Students are also invited to discuss with their CETL coordinators any additional services they may require from other programs and offices (e.g., Residential Life, Parking and Transportation, Dining Services).

It is each student’s personal decision to disclose the existence of a disability and to request reasonable accommodations. A decision not to disclose this information will be respected.

To receive classroom accommodations, students must provide CETL with documentation that meets the University’s guidelines.

You can review them at

Incoming students are urged to submit this documentation to CETL as soon as possible.

The University remains flexible regarding the types of reasonable accommodations that can be made. Accommodations are based on individual circumstances and may include:

  • An orientation tour and an introduction to accessible routes on campus
  • Assisted listening devices, notetakers, and interpreters
  • Extended test time and alternative test locations
  • The use of adaptive equipment

Students with disabilities are invited to offer suggestions for accommodations that have been successful for them in the past. Access Coordinators work with individual students and their instructors to make arrangements for reasonable classroom accommodations.

The booklet Disabilities, Accommodations and the College can be viewed at Print copies can be obtained by contacting the CETL at (585) 275-9049.

Equal Opportunity Statement

The University of Rochester values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, military/veteran status, national origin, race, religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Further, the University complies with all applicable nondiscrimination laws in the administration of its policies, admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University programs and activities.

Questions on compliance with the Equal Opportunity Statement should be directed to the particular school or department and/or to the University’s Equal Opportunity Coordinator, University of Rochester, PO Box 270039, Rochester, NY 14627-0039. Phone: (585) 275-9125. The Equal Opportunity Coordinator also serves as the coordinator for grievances concerning claims of discrimination arising under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and Titles VI and IX of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Financial Aid

Financial Aid Office

The Financial Aid Office is located in Wallis Hall

Students receiving need-based financial aid may be required to submit additional application materials to the College Board to be scanned and imaged as part of the College Board’s IDOC service. These images will then be made available for our office to review on the College Board’s secure website.

If our office does require you to submit additional application materials to IDOC, you will be contacted via email with instructions on submitting your information.

If you have already submitted tax information for 2014 to IDOC, our office will be able to access that information automatically.

Students awarded federal loans will be emailed instructions on how to complete their promissory notes and entrance counseling requirements online during the week of Orientation.

Please note that aid cannot be disbursed to a student account until all supporting application and loan documents have been completed.

To review the status of your financial aid application, log in to FAOnline at

Health Service

University Health Service

University Health Service has medical offices on the River Campus, in the Medical Center, and at the Eastman School of Music.

Congratulations on your admission and welcome to the University of Rochester!

University Health Service (UHS) has two requirements for students to complete prior to the start of classes.

1. Health History Form (used to document a student’s health history and required immunizations.)
(The Healthy History Form will be included in your enrolling student packet.)

2. Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver Process
(Online insurance enrollment/waiver process will be available on the UHS website, beginning in mid to late-June.)

Comprehensive information for enrolling students will be included in your packet, and is also available for review at

International Services

International Services Office (ISO)

The flags displayed in Hirst Lounge represent the countries of international students sponsored for study, the sovereign nations of Native American students, the United States and its territories. This display is updated annually to represent the current student population at the University of Rochester.

ISO proudly serves over 2,000 international students from more than 100 different countries at the University of Rochester!  We offer guidance and immigration documents to new international students (other than U.S. citizens or permanent residents).

Several months prior to the start of your program, you and your admitting department will coordinate with the ISO to request your student visa documents.

Visa Documents
Please begin by visiting

This page will guide you through each step of the process. If you would like student visa sponsorship through the University of Rochester, you will need to complete the New Student Request for I-20/DS-2019 form and submit this to the Office of Admissions.

You will also need to include related document copies, including your passport and proof of financial support. We will not be able to issue your I-20 or DS-2019 without this information.

Detailed instructions are online.

Students already attending another U.S. school will need to coordinate an Immigration Transfer. Please discuss this with your current school to schedule a release of your SEVIS record to the University of Rochester. Interested students who already have immigration status in the U.S. should speak with an ISO Advisor about options to change to a student visa category.  If you plan to attend UR without F-1 or J-1 sponsorship, you are also welcome to contact ISO with any questions or to discuss your situation further.

Preparation and Arrival
The ISO will process your immigration documents as quickly as possible, but please allow at least 2 weeks during our busiest times of year.  Once you receive your I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to prepare for your U.S. visa interview and travel to Rochester.  New international students are expected to arrive on campus in time to attend the mandatory International Student Orientation Program, along with other school events.  Detailed guidance on these steps and schedule information are updated on our website regularly.

International Orientation

Continuing Services
The ISO will continue to oversee your immigration status throughout your program at the University of Rochester and beyond.  Our services include personal immigration advising, work authorizations, cross-cultural counseling, and guidance on travel, taxes, and other aspects of life in the U.S.  We are here to help you!

Information on our most frequent questions is available at As a new student, you can contact ISO with immigration questions by email to, or calling (585) 275-2866.

Congratulations on your admission and we look forward to welcoming you to Rochester!


International Services Office
University of Rochester
213 Morey Hall
PO Box 270446
Rochester, NY 14627
Phone: (585) 275-2866
Fax: (585) 276-2943



The Campus Mail Center is located in Todd Union.

Your campus mailbox (CPU) number will be sent to you soon. Your CPU will remain the same throughout your time at the University.

Any letter or package sent through the U.S. mail should be addressed to:

Student Name
University of Rochester
Rochester, New York 14627-XXXX

U.S. mail addressed to your residence hall will not be delivered.

Minority Student Affairs

Office of Minority Student Affairs

Office of Minority Student Affairs staff

The Office of Minority Student Affairs (OMSA) provides counseling, disseminates information, initiates programs, and serves as a liaison with other departments to enhance the environment of support for students.

Through these efforts, the office encourages the entire University community to appreciate diversity.

OMSA is committed to providing these supportive services on behalf of students to ensure their academic success at the University.

To meet these goals, the office is proactive in advancing campus dialogue on issues related to the overall success and academic achievement of minority students.

Contact Us

Office of Minority Student Affairs
PO Box 270445
2161 Dewey Hall
University of Rochester
Rochester, New York 14627-0445
Phone: (585) 275-0651
Fax: (585) 473-6494
Office Hours: Monday through Friday 9AM – 5PM



We are delighted that you have decided to join our community, and we’re already making great plans for your arrival. Orientation is a critical part of your introduction to University life.

Orientation staff and volunteers work hard to ensure you have a memorable week and a great introduction to life at the University of Rochester.

Fall 2015 Orientation

New freshmen enrolling in fall 2015 should plan to arrive on Tuesday, August 25. International students should plan to arrive on Sunday,  August 23.

When you arrive, you will move into your room (if you are living on campus), pick up your Orientation schedule, and join us Tuesday for a campus-wide welcome session to kick off the week’s activities.

To welcome you and help you have the best possible start to your college career, we have planned a number of exciting activities for your first week with us. You will join your new classmates in a host of events, including exciting late-night programming and a day of community service. You will also have several opportunities to speak with your pre-major advisor and other faculty across the College about fall courses and registration.

In mid-June, we will send or email incoming freshmen the Freshman Academic Handbook, which includes helpful tools for planning your fall courses.

During the month of July, you will be invited to register for a limited number of classes in advance of your arrival for Orientation. You will complete your fall course registration during Orientation in August, after you have had an opportunity to meet with your pre-major advisor, talk with departmental representatives, and research all of your opportunities.

New transfer students enrolling in fall 2015 and living on campus will be be allowed to move into their room on August 25. (Please note there is very limited housing for incoming transfer students.) All transfer students are expected to attend Orientation. While we recognize that college is not new for our transfer students, we believe that participation in a comprehensive orientation program will assure that your transition to Rochester is a successful one. Transfer Orientation includes many of the same programs we offer to freshmen, as well as specialized advising and social events. You will register for your fall courses during Orientation.

Transfer students should review their credit evaluation, consult with academic departments, and review the Registrar’s website, to develop an academic plan.  Junior transfers are encouraged to schedule a pre-orientation advising appointment with the College Center for Advising Services between June 15 and August 7. To arrange an appointment call (585) 275-2354.

Family Orientation Programs

The fall Parent & Family Orientation Program is scheduled for August 25-26. Pre-registration is highly recommended  A registration link will be available in June on the Orientation website. While this program is optional, we encourage all parents and family members to attend. The program features a variety of social events and information sessions. We will also offer special programs for siblings of enrolling students, between the ages of 5-17 on August 26. This is a fee based program and pre-registration is required. Information will be included in a June mailing.

This is an important period of emotional, personal, and intellectual transition for students—and also a time of excitement and new challenges for parents. Although students will become more independent in college, they will continue to look to their family for support and guidance. Rochester recognizes that parents are partners in the college experience, and we welcome their participation and look forward to meeting them.

Spring 2016 Orientation

New students enrolling in spring 2016 will begin their Orientation program on Sunday, January 10, 2016. Mid-year Orientation is a highly personalized program that provides new freshmen and transfer students with opportunities to meet other new students, spend time with faculty and staff, and attend programs both on and off campus. You will also meet with current students who previously enrolled during a spring semester and will be eager to share their experiences. Parents and other family members may wish to attend a half-day program on January 11 to learn more about our community and the resources available to students. Information and registration materials will be sent in mid-December. Please check your University email. If you do not receive information by December 30, email

We are looking forward to sharing our Orientation programs with you and to helping you make a smooth transition to college life. Specific information regarding your program, registration for Orientation, and much more will be coming to you in the months prior to your arrival. Please check our website regularly at for updates. If you have any questions in the months to come, please don’t ever hesitate to contact us.

Welcome to our community!

With best wishes,

Marcy Kraus, Dean of Freshmen
Eleanor Oi, Director of Orientation
The Orientation Program Staff

Contact Us
Phone: (585) 275-2354
Orientation website:
College Center for Advising Services website:

Public Safety

Department of Public Safety


The Department of Public Safety is comprised of approximately 130 full-time staff that provides uniformed patrol, investigative, crime prevention, victim assistance, and workplace violence services, and specialized programs tailored to specific campus needs. They respond to calls of any nature, including all campus emergencies — fire, accidents, physical crimes and disturbances.  Public Safety is a mixed force of sworn peace officers and public safety officers.  Peace officers are able to make arrests due to the commission of a felony, misdemeanor, or other breach of peace based on probable cause, and can make mental health arrests – an authority that allows peace officers to intervene promptly in mental health emergencies.  University peace officers carry batons and pepper foam as defensive weapons when dealing with potentially dangerous situations.  They do not carry firearms.

  • All public safety officers are selected after a thorough investigation designed to choose individuals who are dedicated, sensitive, and display good communication skills.  They hold a New York State license (requiring 32 hours of training) and receive an additional 560 hours of in-house basic training. Designated sworn peace officers complete at least 400 more hours of New York State certified instruction from the municipal public safety training center.
  • Approximately 40 trained, part-time student aides assist our professional staff and work in selected areas of the campus and residence halls during the academic year.  These students are in constant radio contact with us, should unauthorized persons or other conditions affecting general safety be discovered.


Working together promotes awareness of the needs of one’s neighbors and fosters a sense of common purpose.  The University is part of a larger, urban community in which crime is a constant reality.  Maintaining a safe and secure community must be a cooperative undertaking.  Public Safety staff alone cannot resolve every breach of good security practice.

A partnership is required.  Here is what you can do:

  • Attend at least one of the many personal safety seminars offered throughout the year and incorporate the ideas suggested into daily habits.
  • Report hazards, keeping in mind the various means available to summon aid in an emergency.
  • Pay attention to signs of possible risk and plan how to respond to these unexpected and unwanted situations.
  • Remember, you are responsible for the actions of those you invite to campus while they are here. You can help by informing them of the University’s policies, rules, regulations and expectations for proper behavior.

The University of Rochester’s annual fire and safety reports include statistics for the previous three years concerning fire incidents and reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings owned or controlled by the University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the University’s campuses.  The reports also include institutional policies regarding campus security, fire safety, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters.  You can obtain a copy, titled Think Safe, by calling 275-3340, or view the contents by accessing the following web site:

The University of Rochester prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, including acts of sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.  Information on the policies and procedures related to this prohibited behavior can be found online here: and by contacting Morgan Levy, the Title IX Coordinator for the University by phone at 275-7814 or via e-mail at


New York State Education Law requires the University to establish policies, regulations, and procedures for the maintenance of public order on its campuses and properties.  These provisions are set forth in a “Standards of Conduct” statement adopted by the Board of Trustees on July 15, 1970, and published in the Faculty Handbook.

The Department of Public Safety is charged with providing general public safety services at the University, and takes steps to insure the maintenance of public order consistent with its mission.  Peace Officer authority is outlined in the New York State Criminal Procedure Law, Article 2.10, Section 83.

Our department can communicate directly with the Rochester Police Department and other law enforcement agencies through the 911 Center and by direct radio contact with selected police units if a serious crime is committed in the University area. We have an excellent working relationship with area law enforcement agencies.  Serving as the University’s liaison group, our staff works very closely, and is in regular contact with, these agencies.  We routinely share information related to criminal activity.  Criminal incidents and related information are recorded by us for statistical purposes.

Students, faculty, staff and visitors to the University are encouraged to report promptly criminal incidents, sexual offenses or other emergencies by following the procedures under “How to Report a Crime.”  You can report an incident in person at any one of University Public Safety’s three offices.  “Blue Light” emergency telephones, which are connected directly to the Public Safety Dispatcher, are available throughout the University.


The University maintains an extensive network of over 500 interior, and exterior public access telephones.  You can call the Public Safety Communications Center for assistance at any time of the day or night from any of these phones.  Included are over 185 direct-dial Blue Light Emergency Phones.

  • In an EMERGENCY, dial x13 from any University phone, including service  phones located at building entrances, or dial #413 from AT&T or Verizon cell phones. Dial 275-3333 from any other phone. Or pick up a Blue Light Emergency Phone located along pedestrian pathways and parking areas, and you will be connected to one of our emergency dispatchers automatically.  An officer will be sent to your location right away.  Local police, fire or ambulance agencies will be notified as needed.  [Currently, if you call 911 from within the University phone system, your exact location will not be displayed to the 911 system operator.]
  • For non-emergencies, dial 275-3333.  You may also use a Blue Light Emergency Phone.
  • The Dispatcher will determine first that you are safe.  Once that is known, you will be asked for your name and location, as well as descriptive information about the incident or event with which you are involved.  This information will assist the responding officer(s), and other emergency responders.
  • You may contact an on-duty supervisor 24 hours a day by calling 275-3333.
  • For crime prevention services, call 275-2220.  For investigative services, call 275-3436.  For victim’s assistance services call 275-2090.

Our administrative offices are located at the University Public Safety Center, 612 Wilson Boulevard.  Office hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm weekdays.  Call 275-3340 or 275-3437, fax 275-0344, or send email to for more information.  Our website is at

Also on the River Campus, we’re in the garden level of the Sigma Phi Epsilon House.  Office hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm weekdays.  Call 273-5200 or fax 273-1128.

We are located in the Medical Center in Room G-6009 (near the bookstore and bank). Office hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm weekdays.  Call 275-2221 or fax 271-4513.

We are available to meet with students at the Eastman School of Music.  We have space in the ESM main hall and in the main lobby of the Student Living Center.  Call 273-5200.


If you are a victim or a witness to a crime, we urge you to call University Public Safety immediately.  If the crime is in progress or involves possible violence, call our emergency number, x13 or pick up any Blue Light Emergency Phone, or dial #413 from AT&T or Verizon cell phones in the Rochester area.  If the crime involves property, but does not pose an immediate threat, call our non-emergency number, 275-3333.

After you report a crime, we can suggest where you may get follow-up assistance. These may include your insurance carrier, our crime prevention staff, the Office of the Dean of Students, a Human Resources staff member or other law enforcement contact.  If you recall helpful information after filing the report, contact us as soon as possible.  This may include new witnesses, a more precise description of identifying markings, the value of the property, or the recovery of missing or stolen property.

If a follow-up investigation is successful, we may need further assistance from you. For example, you may be asked to identify property or suspects, or be asked to testify at administrative or judicial hearings.

The Department of Public Safety is designated to be the primary receiver of reports of crimes, to make timely warnings of criminal activity to the community, and to disclose crime statistics annually.

If you are the victim of a crime or other misconduct on campus, and simply will not pursue direct action within the University or criminal justice system, you may still want to consider making a confidential report.  With your permission, we can prepare a report of the details of the incident without revealing your identity.  The purpose of such a confidential report is to learn about the existence of a possible problem that would not be disclosed otherwise. The information can help put in place corrective measures to safeguard you and others in the future.  Additionally, this information helps the University keep a more complete record of these incidents, assists with determining whether there’s a pattern, and serves as a basis for education or publicity campaigns to the campus community regarding potential issues of concern.  Any incident reported in this manner will be included as a statistical tally only, as we include proxy reports for sexual offenses and other crimes in our annual Clery Act report.

You may also seek out other University resources to discuss your concerns, and disclose a criminal incident.  These reports are required to be included as statistics in the annual report to our community.  Campus Authorities with responsibility for campus activities who must report crime statistics to the Department of Public Safety include but are not limited to:

  • Title IX Coordinator
  • Dean of Students for the colleges on River Campus, at the Medical Center and at the Eastman School of Music
  • Dean of Graduate Studies
  • Director of Residential Life on River Campus and at the Eastman School of Music
  • Associate Vice President for Facilities and Services
  • Associate Vice President for Human Resources
  • Director of Athletics and Recreation
  • Director for the Center for Student Conflict Management
  • Counselors or pastoral staff, acting in a professional capacity, are exempt from reporting incidents in a timely manner.  However, they are encouraged to provide general disclosure crime event attributes via our proxy or confidential report processes.


Through Student Orientation Programs, Parent Orientation Programs, service fairs, new employee orientations and individual residence hall floor presentations, crime prevention staff address thousands of students, parents, and employees on personal safety issues yearly.  We respond to special requests from groups of staff members or students and present individualized workshops on topics of particular concern.  We also distribute Safety Bulletins and conduct office/building safety surveys.  We make available victim assistance support services for a crime against the person.  Assistance may begin shortly after a crime is reported and may continue through the often confusing stages of the criminal justice process.

The University does not assume responsibility for property if it is lost or stolen.  To protect your property, record any identifying marks or serial numbers on a list and keep it in a safe place. Items without serial numbers may be engraved with a unique number for identification purposes. We strongly urge you to check your family homeowner’s insurance policy and secure coverage if needed.  To find out more about any of the services offered by our Crime Prevention Office, call 275-2220.


University Public Safety will arrange for an escort to and from University locations. We will choose the most efficient way to provide you with an escort based on our activity levels at the time. We acknowledge emergencies and other high priority non-emergency calls for services first, so there may be some delay in our response to your request. Please be patient. Your own safety is not worth sacrificing for a few extra minutes. We don’t provide escorts to off-campus locations. To request an escort, call 275-3333 or pick up a Blue Light Emergency Phone.


The quality of our services is dependent on the feedback from those we serve.  Our professional standards process helps us respond to complaints and concerns.  We also wish to recognize instances where our staff have been especially helpful and exceeded your expectations in the services they have provided.

Our public safety officers’ relationships with our community are vital to achieving our overall mission of a safe and secure campus environment.  All members of the community should expect to be treated in a courteous and professional manner by members of the department.  We will not tolerate unprofessional or rude behavior or a substandard level of service.

During your time at the University it is possible you could be given directions, or be asked for information, by a Public Safety Officer or other University representative responding to a call for service involving an urgent matter, a crime, or a violation of University regulations. You may be asked to identify yourself and, subsequently, to produce your University issued identification card.  Your ID card quickly verifies that you may have certain privileges not extended to those not affiliated with the University.  You should carry your identification card at all times and must present it on request to any authorized representative.

If the officer is investigating a crime, complaint, or a violation of University rules and regulations, you should expect to be asked reasonable questions that will help determine the facts and circumstances of a situation or other inquiry.  At some point, the officer should provide you with a brief explanation as to the reason for the request for information.  Circumstances may require a quick verification of identity and affiliation before responding.  However, the interaction should not end without the officer taking time to provide feedback or answer general questions.

We want to make sure our services meet your needs, and would like to hear from you if you have a question, wish to say thanks, or file a complaint.

To reach us you have several options:

  • Call 275-3333 and ask to speak with the on-duty shift supervisor.
  • Call or stop by one of our offices on the River Campus or Medical Center, and speak with a member of our management team responsible for services in those areas.
  • Send a written inquiry to the Director of University Public Safety, Mark Fischer, University Public Safety Center, 612 Wilson Boulevard, Box 278950, or email him at
  • File a Security Feedback form that can be found at

Heads up

  • Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Display a sense of confidence when walking.
  • Avoid hats or other items that obstruct your vision and earphones that impair your hearing.
  • Limit public display and use of personal electronic devices.

Buddy up

  • Walk with someone whenever possible; there is safety in numbers.
  • Take the bus or request an escort when traveling alone at night.

Lighten up

  • Carry only the cash and credit cards you expect to need.
  • Don’t burden yourself with bulky or heavy items that would be easy to snatch or make you unsteady when walking.

Give it up

  • If your wallet or purse or bookbag is forcibly taken, don’t fight back. Turn it over rather than risk personal injury, and report the incident to Public Safety immediately.

Lock it up

  • Close and lock the door when leaving your office or residence (over 90% of all thefts occur from unlocked or unattended areas).
  • Lock all doors when driving and after parking your car.
  • Secure your bicycle in a bike rack with a quality U – shaped lock.
  • Do not hold the door open and admit strangers to secure buildings.
  • Never prop doors open, especially fire doors.
  • Do not attach your I.D. to your keys or mark your keys with your name or address (this could lead a criminal back to your room–or to you).

Cover it up

  • If you need to store valuables in your car, place them out of sight or lock them in the trunk.
  • Secure your purse, wallet or other valuables in a locked drawer or cabinet in your office or residence.

Call us up

  • Immediately call Public Safety at x13 in an emergency (dial #413 from AT&T or Verizon cell phones), or 275-3333 for a non-emergency to report any crime, suspicious activity or to discuss any other safety concern.


  • EMERGENCY (from any University telephone) – x13
  • EMERGENCY (from any other phone) – 275-3333
  • EMERGENCY (from AT&T or Verizon cell phones) – #413
  • Non-emergencies – 275-3333
  • River Campus & Eastman Office – 273-5200
  • Medical Center Office – 275-2221
  • Administrative and Patrol Operations Staff – 275-3340
  • Special Events – 275-1087
  • Lost/Found Property – 275-2552
  • Victim Assistance Coordinator – 275-2090
  • General Information (email) –

For more information, visit

Residential Life

Residential Life & Housing Services

Hoeing Hall on the Residence Quad

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Rochester and welcome to the University community.

One of the many important decisions you must make several times while at the University is where you will live. University housing is a very popular option.Freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus, while two-thirds of the juniors and more than half of the seniors choose to live on campus. There are many worthwhile options to choose from during your student years, both within the Residential Life (College housing) system and beyond. These web pages are designed to describe the Residential Life and Dining Services programs for first-year students in some detail.

At the University of Rochester, we house first-year students together. This unique and creative project pairs the leaders, faculty, and staff members of the College with Residential Life and Dining Services to provide a tremendous new living community. Energetic residential, academic, support, social, recreational, and resource programs are in place to support the freshman class. The skills, closeness, and lifetime friendships that you develop as a result will ease your transition into the University and Rochester community.

We encourage you to read the Residential Life materials included in your enrolling student packet carefully (we know you get buried with reading from all sides, but your campus home is critical to your success). They are designed to help you prepare for living at the University of Rochester. You are especially encouraged to read the Application/Contract form and the Contract Conditions text at the end of this publication. Fill out the application accurately and return it promptly so that we can serve you best.

Housing for Transfers

Rochester welcomes transfer students to join our residential undergraduate community as much as possible. In recent years, the popularity of all our facilities has exceeded the number of available spaces. Thus, we currently can’t accommodate every transfer student who will want to live on campus.

Transfer students who do apply for fall term housing are not likely to hear about housing until after July 15 at the earliest. And some assignments will come later, sometimes close to the date classes begin. Students starting in the spring term will receive their housing assignment in January.

For your best chance at securing on-campus housing, submit a housing contract as early as you can.

Off-Campus Housing

Many UR transfer students live off-campus in apartments or shared homes in student-friendly Rochester neighborhoods. There are some transfer students who prefer to live off-campus and never apply for on campus housing. Others have sought housing off-campus for one or two semesters because they were unsuccessful in their first attempt to get a campus housing assignment.

Off-campus housing options for college students in Rochester are affordable, safe, can offer both parking and/or public transportation options, and come in a range of prices and lifestyles. Students seeking off-campus housing can depend on support from the Office of Residential Life while finding a good match for their educational plans.

Office for Off-Campus Living Programs

The Office for Off Campus Living Programs:

  • assists University of Rochester students locate rental housing in the area
  • operates the Off Campus Living Search, our property listing database
  • educates students about how to be good neighbors and tenants
  • organizes events, activities, and leadership opportunities for students living off campus
  • works with neighborhood associations and service centers to maintain open communication and promote strong community ties
  • assists with student/landlord dispute resolution and communication
  • advises off campus student organizations

To locate off-campus housing, use Off-Campus Connection, the University’s property search engine, at

To schedule an appointment with the Coordinator for Off Campus Living, call (585) 275-1081.

Contact Residential Life

If you have any questions at all, don’t hesitate to visit us at the Residential Life Office in 020 Gates Hall (Susan B. Anthony Halls), call (585) 275-3166, fax (585) 276-1886, or e-mail us at If we do not have an answer for you, we will either find it or help you find someone who does.

You are probably approaching this time with both excitement and apprehension. There is justification for both feelings. We in Residential Life believe that your living experience should be one of excitement, and we look forward to working with you to make it that way.

Good luck with preparations to attend the University of Rochester. We look forward to greeting you.


Laurel F. Contomanolis
Executive Director, Residential Life and Housing Services

Student Employment

Student Employment  

Federal Work Study and University Student Employment jobs awarded as part of a financial aid package are not guaranteed.

Students will need to find a job, apply, and be hired to receive their funding.

Once hired for a campus position, all students will need to complete an I-9 form with the Financial Aid Office to begin working on campus.  Federal Work Study and University Student Employment funding does not appear on the student billing statement as an anticipated credit towards a student’s charges; students are paid directly via a biweekly paycheck for work performed.

Information regarding on-campus employment opportunities for students, both with and without Federal Work Study or University Student Employment eligibility is available through FAJobLink.

Students can log in to their student employment profile by logging into their Blackboard account and clicking on FAJobLink.

Writing, Speaking, & Argument Program

Writing, Speaking, and Argument Program

Students participating in the Writing, Speaking, and Argument Program class “Advanced Writing & Peer Tutoring.”

Writing, Speaking, and Argument Program is home to both the Writing and Speaking Center, where students can find writing tutoring services, and the Primary Writing Requirement, the College’s first step in drawing students into our community of researchers and writers.

All students at the University of Rochester, whether incoming freshmen or transfers, must satisfy the Primary Writing Requirement. The majority of students fulfill the requirement by earning a C or better in WRT 105, Reasoning and Writing in the Collegeor WRT 105E, a version of 105 chosen by students who need more support to meet the demands of college-level writing.

For more information on our tutoring services and on satisfying the Primary Writing Requirement, including instructions on how to access the Writing Placement Survey, see our website:

The College Writing and Speaking Center offers a wide variety of writing and speaking support services for undergraduate students of all levels and in all disciplines. Our office is staffed by graduate-student writing consultants and undergraduate writing and speaking fellows from the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural and applied sciences. Tutors provide individualized feedback and assistance on all types of academic writing and speaking. We invite students to use our services during any stage of the writing process, from brainstorming ideas to polishing a final draft. Similarly, students can visit a speaking fellow at any point as they are developing or practicing a presentation.

The Writing and Speaking Center is located on the ground floor of Rush Rhees Library, RR G-121.

For more information about the face-to-face and online tutoring services we offer, please visit or call (585) 273-3577.