Thank you for serving our country!

The University of Rochester encourages and supports past and present military service members and their families as they pursue their higher education goals.  At Rochester, veterans and their dependents choose to pursue their academics at a rigorous top-tier research university.

In 2014, Rochester was named a Top Military-Friendly College by Military Advanced Education for our efforts to ensure veterans face minimal barriers in attaining higher education. Rochester participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, offers the Rochester Pledge scholarship, and has a Veterans Alliance group. Veterans and their dependents have many resources available to assist with barriers that they may face.

To become a student at the University of Rochester in the undergraduate College of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering, you must apply either as a freshman or a transfer applicant.

To apply as a transfer, you must have completed at least two college-level courses. The average transfer applicant to the University of Rochester has completed a year of full-time courses (24–32 credits) before enrolling. Rochester has a holistic review process and will consider all applicants in our review.

Students can start the application process by submitting a Common Application or the Universal College Application.

 Or apply to another division of the University:

Graduate Studies in The College of Arts, Science, and Engineering 
Eastman School of Music
School of Medicine and Dentistry
School of Nursing
Simon Business School
Warner School of Education

Veterans' Resources

Thank you for serving our country!

Welcome to the University of Rochester Veterans Resource Page! This webpage is designed to provide veterans and their families with information about the Yellow Ribbon Program, answers to frequently asked questions, and links to important websites. We hope you find this information helpful.

Veteran’s Day Portrait Gallery

Veterans Resource Directory (PDF)

NEWS: Rochester Expands Resources for Veterans

Rochester Pledge

A Scholarship for Veterans of the US Armed Forces

The University of Rochester is pleased to announce that, beginning in fall 2009, all qualified, admissible, post-9/11 veterans of the United States Armed Forces admitted to the University will receive the Rochester Pledge.

This scholarship, in combination with the G.I. Bill and any additional University funding, will cover full tuition for veterans with at least 36 months of service who are pursuing their first bachelor’s degree. For veterans with less than 36 months of service, the scholarship amount will be pro-rated based on length of service.

The University is proud to offer this scholarship to ensure that those who have given the ultimate service to their country face no financial barriers in attaining a higher education.

To be considered for the Rochester Pledge, you must provide your certificate of eligibility. If you wish to be considered for additional assistance, please complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS PROFILE.

For guidance throughout the admissions process, including access to discussion forums and event registration, please create an account.

To learn more about this scholarship, read the press release.

Related Sites:

Department of Veterans Affairs
General information for US veterans.

Veterans Online Application Website
The VONAPP (Veterans On Line Applications) website is an official US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website that enables veterans to apply for benefits using the Internet.

Veterans Outreach Center
Information to assist and support the needs of veterans.

National Military Family Association
Information to educate military families about their rights and the services available to them.

Yellow Ribbon Program (Rochester Pledge) participants include:

Common Questions

What educational benefit is best for me?
Detailed information about educational benefit options is available through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

I am a veteran. How do I apply for my veteran’s educational benefits?

  1. Apply for educational benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) here.
  2. Notify the University of Rochester’s Financial Aid Office that you are eligible and applying for veteran’s educational benefits.

I am the dependent of a veteran. How do I apply for my veteran’s educational benefits?

  1. Your parent transfers a portion—or all—of his/her benefit to you through Transfer of Entitlement.
  2. After the transfer is approved, you apply for the educational benefit here.
  3. You notify the Financial Aid office that you are eligible and applying for veteran’s educational benefits.

What documentation does the Financial Aid Office need from me to process my veteran’s educational benefits?
Veteran: Photocopy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility

Dependent of veteran:

  1. photocopy of approved Transfer of Educational Benefit (TEB)
  2. photocopy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility

How do I submit my certificate of eligibility? 
Please fax to (585) 756-7664.

Whom do I call about the status of my educational benefits claim?
Call 1-888-442-4551 to speak with an Educational Case Manager at the VA.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
For an overview of the program, please visit the Yellow Ribbon Program page.

How do I qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program or the Rochester Pledge?
You or your parent must qualify for 100% of the Post-9/11 GI Bill to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program and the Rochester Pledge.

What UR campuses participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?
The River Campus, Eastman School of Music, and the Simon School are participants.

Will other UR campuses participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program in the future?
Other campuses have considered, and we will update the website when additional campuses decide to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

What campus resources are available to veterans?
The following are just a few of the many resources available to veterans: College Center for Academic Support, University Counseling Center, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Disability Services, and Office for Residential Life and Housing Services.

Helpful Links