How to Apply

Notice to Applicants

In addition to the Common Application (which will be live August 1), Rochester will be accepting the Universal College Application for the 2014–2015 year, available starting July 1.

If you would prefer to submit your application using the Common Application, please return on or after August 1 to apply.

At this time, we are no longer accepting new transfer applications for the September (fall) 2014 term. Applicants may submit documents for either the January (spring) 2015 or September (fall) 2015 terms.

How to Apply

Transfer applicants are responsible for submitting the following for consideration:

  • Submit the Part I Application
  • Complete the Common Application (this will include submitting the Writing Supplement, Members Questions and application fee) OR the Universal College Application (applying through UCA will require the submission of a supplement and fee on their website)
  • All official college transcripts from schools attended
  • Submit at least one letter of recommendation:  Academic Evaluator (Common Application) OR Professor Recommendation (Universal College Application) forms
  • Submit a College Official’s Report: Registrar Report (Common Application) OR College Report (Universal College Application)
  • Final high school transcript*
  • Submit official test scores*

*If you have completed at least a year of full-time college course work in the United States, you may request for this to be waived. 

In the Common Application, all applicants will need to invite a person to complete the Registrar Report in order to allow the completed Common Application to be submitted. The Registrar Report serves as a transcript request and verifies enrollment and academic standing. Applicants should check with their current school to see who should be listed as the school’s contact and to see their policy regarding transcript requests.

The person who receives the invitation to submit the Registrar Report will receive an email and can “opt out” of the online process; this will allow an applicant to access a PDF version of the report in a link. The PDF can be provided to your school to submit with your official transcript. Please note the Registrar’s Report is recommended, but if your current school refuses to submit it electronically or by paper, contact us and we can waive it for you. 

If you want to submit the Registrar Report or Academic Evaluator by paper, exclude an email address when you invite the individual. This will allow you to submit your completed Common Application and you will then have access to PDF versions of the forms.


International Transfer Students

In addition to the material listed above, international applicants have additional documents to submit.

  • Complete the International Financial Support (IFSF) form
  • Send your English Language Test (PTE Academics, TOEFL, or IELTS) Scores. If your native language is not English, you must fulfill our English language requirement. (If your native language is English or you qualify completed at least a year of full-time course work in the U.S including a college level writing course you may request to have the English language requirement waived. Please contact Admissions at
  • If your college education has been outside the US, submit the World Education Services (WES) Course-by-Course Report. (WES will send the completed report to us. The WES ICAP report is optional.)
  • If your college education has been outside the US, submitting course descriptions is recommended to aid us in completing a transfer credit evaluation.


Supporting Materials and Specialized Application Documents

Financial Aid
Apply for need-based financial aid.

Check your application status (MyROC)
To ensure that the Office of Admissions has received all of your application materials, visit MyROC.



It is important to meet application deadlines. Your application status affects financial aid packaging and could have an impact on scholarship decisions. You are encouraged to apply early, before the deadline.

Transfer, Fall Semester

  • All Application Materials Due: 12:00 am EST, March 15 for priority consideration. Applications will be accepted after the deadline and will be considered on a rolling basis.
  • Application Review: Review of completed applications begins in February. Review takes about a month. Our review will be closed in early July.
  • Notification Date: Decisions start going out in early April and will continue into July, based on when the application was completed.
  • Your Response Required: Your response deadline will be specified in your decision letter.

Transfer, Spring Semester

  • All Application Materials Due: 12:00 am EST October 1 for priority consideration. Applications will be accepted after the deadline and will be considered on a rolling basis.
  • Application Review: Review of completed applications begins in late August. Review takes about a month. Our review will be closed in early December.
  • Notification Date: Decisions start going out in late September and will continue based on when the application was completed.
  • Your Response Required: Your response deadline will be specified in your decision letter.

Applications will be accepted after the deadline until enrollment has been closed.


Housing for Transfers

Rochester housing is popular.

Most University of Rochester students live on campus (~84%), and Rochester welcomes transfer students to join our residential undergraduate community as much as possible. To support student goals, Rochester has built and sustains many different kinds of campus housing. Yet, in recent years, the popularity of all our facilities has exceeded the number of available spaces. Thus, we currently can’t accommodate every transfer student who will want to live on campus.


By the numbers

During the most recent years, on average, about sixty-five entering transfer students apply for fall housing and about fifteen entering students request campus housing for spring term. Each year, Rochester has been able to accommodate thirty to thirty-five transfer students for fall term housing and all fifteen starting in January for spring term housing. Those students whom we were not able to accommodate in the fall and who still desire housing were able to secure on-campus housing for spring term.

Transfer students who do apply for fall term housing are not likely to hear about housing until after July 15 at the earliest. And some assignments will come later, sometimes close to the date classes begin. In fact, each fall, about five students receive their campus housing assignment in early September after classes begin, as late changes in other students’ plans make spaces available.


Real options

Many UR transfer students live off-campus in apartments or shared homes in student-friendly Rochester neighborhoods. Some transfer students prefer to live off-campus and never apply for on-campus housing. Others have sought housing off-campus for one or two semesters because they were unsuccessful in their first attempt to get a campus housing assignment.

Off-campus housing options for college students in Rochester are affordable, safe, can offer both parking and/or public transportation options, and come in a range of prices and lifestyles. Students seeking off-campus housing can depend on support from the Off-Campus Housing staff in the Office of Residential Life while finding a good match for their educational plans.


Process and timing

For your best chance at securing on-campus housing, apply as early as you can. Transfer admissions occur on a rolling basis throughout the late spring and summer, but do your best to get the housing materials in as quickly as possible.

Students entering as transferring freshmen and sometimes sophomores will have a higher priority for housing placement ahead of students entering at more advanced class standing. Students moving to Rochester from out of the area, including international students, will have priority over students who live locally. While these are the general placement priorities for assigning transfer students, it does not guarantee housing placement for all that may meet those criteria. We will do our best to place as many transfer students in housing as we are able.

Common Questions

Transfer FAQ

After submitting Part I, you can submit the Common Application. Then, submit the University of Rochester Application Supplement for Transfers. If you have any questions, please contact us.

If you have graduated from high school or earned a high school equivalency, are enrolled in eight or more college credits following graduation you would be considered as a transfer applicant. Applicants who are most competitive for transfer admissions will have completed at least a year of college courses (24–32 credits) at the time of applying.

If you have graduated from high school more than two years ago but have not taken college level classes, you are considered a freshman applicant. Students may be more competitive for admissions taking some college courses and then applying as a transfer. Every applicant’s situation is different and you may want to contact us about your circumstances.

If you are obtaining a high school diploma and an associate’s degree through a dual credit program, you will be considered as a freshman applicant. Dual credit college course can be considered for transfer credit if the courses were taken on a college camps. Freshman applicants can only accelerate graduation by one semester. 

To reapply, you should submit the Reactivation Form, which would prompt us to update your application term. You would also need to submit an official college transcript and any other new material you would like us to consider.

There are no minimum requirements for admission to the University of Rochester. Each student’s application is reviewed using a committee process that entails a comprehensive evaluation of each candidate.

For the fall of 2013, the typical student gaining admission to Rochester:

  • Took challenging college courses
  • Maintained a median college GPA of 3.5
  • Most students joined classified as sophomores or juniors based upon transfer credits awarded
  • Demonstrated an active, independent role in his/her educational, personal, and community activities

We value unquantifiable strengths such as initiative, creativity, enthusiasm, and leadership, and we’re also careful to ensure our student body represents the full spectrum of diversity, including hometowns, ideas, and experiences.

It takes about a month to review and then notify completed transfer applications. Review of September (fall) semester applications begins in February, and notifications will start to go out in April. Review of January (spring) semester applications begins in August, with notification beginning in September. Applicants are encouraged to complete applications by the deadline to receive strongest consideration. Students who complete applications after the deadlines will be reviewed and notified on a rolling basis.

Rochester communicates with student a number of ways. Some decisions are mailed, some emailed and some things are posted to the MyROC account. Please make sure to check your MyROC account to follow your application through the review stages.

Rochester highly encourages all applicants to interview. An interview a Rochester representative is a great way to talk about your background, experiences and interests. Rochester students are so much more than just pieces of paper they send off and we want to take the time to get to know our students. Notes from interviews are used in our review, so should be complete by the time your application is complete for our review. If you are looking to be considered for merit scholarships, you should definitely interview.

Yes. All applicants are considered for merit-based scholarships. Rochester receives applications from many qualified students, not every student admitted will receive a scholarship. Applicants are considered holistically for potential merit scholarships. If awarded a scholarship, notification will be included in the transfer admission packet.

Your financial aid package will be emailed to you about a week after your admission offer has been mailed, as long as the Financial Aid Office has all of the required documents to complete the package. If you are applying for aid, you should complete your FAFSA and CSS PROFILE at the same time you are submitting your application for admission, so that the financial aid process is not held up. If you have questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

A detailed pre-enrollment Transfer Credit Evaluation will be included in the admission packet. Credit is awarded for courses comparable to those offered at Rochester in which you have earned a C or better and come in as elective credit. Students looking to have courses approved for specific major or minor requirements will need to get further approval from their chosen academic department. Students often speak with departments during orientation to get approval if they know what major they want to declare.

Graduation year and class standing is determined by the number of credit hours granted at the time of entrance. The table below illustrates the number of credit hours associated with each class standing. Students will work with an advisor to ensure that the Rochester curriculum and specific graduation requirements have been completed.

ClassFall TermSpring Term

A maximum of 64 credit hours from a two-year school may transfer to your Rochester degree requirements. If you are transferring from a four-year school, you may transfer more than 64 credits. However, students must complete at least four full-time semesters at Rochester in order to obtain a degree.

Yes. You can apply as a transfer student to obtain a second degree. The degree must be in a completely different area of study than your first degree and might not be advised depending on your goals. Second degree students receive little in financial support and it might be best for a student to consider a graduate program. You are encouraged to speak with an admissions counselor about your goals.

Yes. Transfer applicants must be enrolled in a HEOP, EOP, SEEK or College Discovery program and meet regular admission standards as a transfer applicant. In addition, there must be space available in our program.

Yes. However, the nursing program is not an entry-level program. Transfer applicants must have either an RN license or a bachelor’s degree and apply directly to the School of Nursing. For more information, please contact the School of Nursing.

Fantastic! Once you have enrolled you will receive email communications from us with the next steps. Students will receive a lot of information to read through, with forms to complete and additional information about Orientation. All incoming students will register for courses at Orientation.


Testing Policy

Standardized Tests

Transfers applicants are encouraged to submit standardized scores from high school.  Transfer applicants who have not completed a year of college must submit standardized scores with their application material. Students who have completed more than a year of college level courses may prefer only their college work to be considered and can request a testing waiver.

Standardized Tests results may appear on high school transcripts but scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to be considered official. The University of Rochester considers the highest combined SAT/ACT score, even if they are from different test dates. Only your highest scores will be considered in our final admissions decision.

You can choose to further differentiate yourself from other applicants with links to electronic media (music, websites, photos, videos, etc.). Admission reviewers will consider these contents (if submitted by the deadline) during our process.

Test-Flexible Policy

At the University of Rochester, admission to the College of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering is based on a holistic review process that includes a “test-flexible” philosophy. As we seek to enroll a diverse and talented class each year, our review procedures incorporate a variety of factors, including many kinds of academic records.

In addition to submitting a record of courses and grades during secondary school, applicants must show evidence of preparation through examination results. A wide variety of test results can fulfill this requirement, including SAT Reasoning exams, the ACT, two or more results from SAT Subject exams, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, AS- and A-level exams (in UK and Commonwealth countries), Gao Kao (China), and results from many other national secondary exams.

Please note that for International Baccalaureate (IB), submission of test results should come as a signed and dated letter of predicted IB scores from the IBO coordinator on campus. The more detail included, the more helpful the results are to us.

Admission offers we make based on predicted IB and A-level results may be revoked in summer if the final results are not a close match for the predicted values.

Read the Rochester test-flexible policy blog post by the Dean of College Admission.


List of Approved Tests

The list below indicates, country by country, which examinations will fulfill an applicant’s standardized testing requirement. The list is not comprehensive, and will be updated as new examinations are approved. Please email with questions regarding examinations that are not included in this list.

Students may submit their Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) or Overall Position (OP) positioning and one of the following:

Australian Capital Territory Year 12 Certificate
New South Wales Higher School Certificate (HSC)
Northern Territory Certificate of Education and Training (NTCET)
Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE)
South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE)
Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE)
Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE), or
Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)

Certificado de Conclusao de Ensino Medio + Vestibular (University Entrance Exam)
Exame Nacional do Ensino Médio/Middle Education National Examination (ENEM)


Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination

Prueba De Seleccion Universitaria

Chinese National Higher Education Entrance Examination (Gao Kao)

Bachillera to Nacional






Indian School Certificate (ISC)
All India Senior School Certificate Examination (AISSCE)
Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSC)
Other state examinations may be considered on request

National Examination

Irish Leaving Certificate

Teudat Bagrut

College Scholastic Ability Test (CSAT)


National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA)

Prueba de Aptitude Academica (PAA)


Advanced Highers (Highers meet minimum requirements; Advanced Highers is recommended)

Prueba de Acceso a la Universidad (Selectividad)

Swiss Federal Maturity Certificate

General Scholastic Ability Test (GSAT)

GCE Advanced Level Examinations or equivalent combination of AS-Level and A-Level examinationsPre U Examinations

West African Senior School Certificate Examination