Testing at Rochester
Our Testing Policy
At the University of Rochester, admission to the College of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering is based on a holistic review process that includes a “test-flexible” philosophy. As we seek to enroll a diverse and talented class each year, our review procedures incorporate a variety of factors, including many kinds of academic records.
In addition to submitting a record of courses and grades during secondary school, applicants must show evidence of preparation through examination results. A wide variety of test results can fulfill this requirement, including SAT Reasoning exams, the ACT, two or more results from SAT Subject exams, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, AS- and A-level exams (in UK and Commonwealth countries), Gao Kao (China), and results from many other national secondary exams.
Please note that for International Baccalaureate (IB), submission of test results should come as a signed and dated letter of predicted IB scores from the IBO coordinator on campus. The more detail included, the more helpful the results are to us.
Admission offers we make based on predicted IB and A-level results may be revoked in summer if the final results are not a close match for the predicted values.
Dean Jonathan Burdick’s blog post regarding Rochester’s test policy
University of Rochester Test Codes
|SAT, SAT Subject Tests, AP exams, and TOEFL||2928|
List of Approved Tests
The list below indicates, country by country, which examinations will fulfill an applicant’s standardized testing requirement. The list is not comprehensive, and will be updated as new examinations are approved. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding examinations that are not included in this list.
Students may submit their Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) or Overall Position (OP) positioning and one of the following:
- Australian Capital Territory Year 12 Certificate
- New South Wales Higher School Certificate (HSC)
- Northern Territory Certificate of Education and Training (NTCET)
- Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE)
- South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE)
- Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE)
- Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE), or
- Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- Certificado de Conclusao de Ensino Medio + Vestibular (University Entrance Exam)
- Exame Nacional do Ensino Médio/Middle Education National Examination (ENEM)
- Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination
- Prueba De Seleccion Universitaria
- Chinese National Higher Education Entrance Examination (Gao Kao)
- Indian School Certificate (ISC)
- All India Senior School Certificate Examination (AISSCE)
- Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSC)
- Other state examinations may be considered on request
- Irish Leaving Certificate
- College Scholastic Ability Test (CSAT)
- National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA)
- Prueba de Aptitude Academica (PAA)
- Advanced Highers (Highers meet minimum requirements; Advanced Highers is recommended)
- Prueba de Acceso a la Universidad (Selectividad)
- Swiss Federal Maturity Certificate
- General Scholastic Ability Test (GSAT)
United Kingdom (British Curriculum)
- GCE Advanced Level Examinations or equivalent combination of AS-Level and A-Level examinations
- Pre U Examinations
- West African Senior School Certificate Examination