To view or download a PDF version of our current Fact Sheet, click here.
- We were named a "New Ivy" in 2007 by Kaplan and Newsweek.
- U of R ranked 21st among U.S. universities (48th in the world) by The Times of London.
- The Wall Street Journal ranked the Simon School of Business 6th in the regional list of top business schools in the nation.
- The School of Medicine and Dentistry was selected by the National Institutes of Health as one of 12 institutions to lead the emerging fields of clinical and translational research.
- We received $109 million in funding from the National Science Foundation, Department of Defense, Department of Health and Human Services, and NASA for projects such as the nanosystems initiative to develop optical biosensors and fuel cells.
Between 2006 and 2007, our researchers...
- slowed light down so much it actually went backwards.
- developed experimental drugs to combat nerve damage caused by HIV.
- created a way to blast metal with intense laser light, changing it into a true
black metal with applications in fuel cells and space telescope detectors.
- hypothesized a relationship between Shakespeare's character Shylock in The Merchant of Venice and the great bard himself.
- created a new CT imaging system that can detect breast cancer better than traditional mammograms.
- received FDA approval for a cervical cancer vaccine.
- improved the condition of rats with Parkinsons using brain cells derived from embryonic stem cells.
- fought cancer by pioneering treatments that target the stem cells at the source of leukemia (and possibly other forms of cancer).
- discovered the link between chemotherapy and the destruction of certain stem cells in the central nervous system.
- Five student athletes were named ESPN Magazine's Academic All-Americans in soccer, volleyball, and football.
- Lute Professor O'Dette was nominated as Best Instrumental Soloist Performance in the 49th Annual Grammy Awards.
- Two alumni received Grammy nominations for Best Classical Contemporary Composition, Best Classical Crossover Album, and Best Engineered Classical Album.
SAT and ACT Information
Middle 50% range for Enrolled Students
|SAT Critical Reading
Class of 2016 Academic Profile
|Top 10% of high school class
|Top 25% of high school class
|Average high school GPA
|Average college GPA (of transfers)
Undergraduate Class Sizes
The average student-teacher ratio is 10:1.
Class of 2016 Diversity
Price of Attendance in 2012-2013
The University of Rochester is committed to meeting the full demonstrated need of all admitted students.