Common Questions

I submitted Part 1. What do I do now?
After submitting Part 1, you can submit the Common Application and remaining application material. The application requirements can be found here. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Am I considered a freshman or a transfer applicant?
If you graduated from high school and have enrolled in courses bearing 8 or more college credits, you will be considered a transfer applicant. Students who are most successful in gaining admissions as a transfer applicant have completed at least a year of full-time course work.
If you graduated high school more than two years ago and have not taken any college courses, you will be considered a freshman applicant. An applicant may want to consider completing some college courses and apply as a transfer applicant to become more competitive for admission.
If you graduated from high school and completed 8 or less college credits after graduation without enrolling in a degree program, you will be considered a freshman applicant.
If you are obtaining a high school diploma and an associate's degree through a dual credit program, you will be considered a freshman applicant.
I previously applied to Rochester and want to apply again. What do I need to do?
If you have previously applied for admission, you need to reactivate your original application by submitting the Reactivation Form and any new or additional information you would like to be considered with your application.
What are the minimum requirements for admission?
There are no minimum requirements for admission to the University of Rochester. Each student's application is reviewed using a committee process that entails a comprehensive holistic evaluation. Most transfer applicants have a 3.0 cumulative college GPA or higher. Most have or will complete at least one year of full-time course work by the time they enroll.

For the fall 2013 semester, the typical transfer student admitted to Rochester:

  • took challenging college courses, often exploring classes in their chosen academic interests
  • maintained a median college GPA of 3.55
  • demonstrated an active, independent role in educational, personal, and community activities
Rochester values unquantifiable strengths such as initiative, creativity, enthusiasm, and leadership. The admissions committee is careful to ensure the student body represents the full spectrum of diversity, including geography, ideas, and experiences.
How will I be notified of your decision?
You will receive your admission decision letter by mail. In some circumstances, Admissions will send a decision via email. Please make sure your mailing address and email information is up to date and you are checking it on a regular basis.
Should I interview with Admissions?
The best way to stand out from a crowd of applicants is to complete an interview. Interviews are highly recommended for all applicants and it allows the admissions committee to get to know you better.
Interviews are completed on campus, off campus, and occasionally via Skype or phone for transfer applicants. You can find out more about interviews here.
What is the World Education Services (WES) transcript evaluation?
If you are an international student whose college education has been outside of the United States, you are required to submit your college transcripts to be evaluated by WES. WES will evaluate your credentials, translate if needed, verify authenticity, prepare an evaluation report, and send it to the colleges to which you have applied.
Information regarding having your credentials evaluated by WES can be found here.
I believe I am eligible to have an application item waived. How do I have an application item waived?

Some students are eligible to have application items waived. You must contact Admissions to request an item to be waived. Common situations in which application items are waived include:

  • High school transcript: students who have completed more than a year of full-time college courses can request to have their high school transcript waived.
  • English language exams: international applicants who have completed more than a year of college in the US and have taken a college-level English writing course can request their exam results (SAT, TOEFL, IELTS) scores to be waived; however, it is recommended that students provide these scores if the exams were completed recently.
  • WES evaluation: The WES transcript evaluation can be waived for students studying at a U.S. college.
I've submitted my application. When will I hear back?
It takes about a month to review completed transfer applications. Review of fall-semester applications begins in February, and notification will begin in March. Review of spring-semester applications begins in August, with notification beginning in September. Decision notifications will go out on a rolling basis depending on when an application becomes complete. Applicants are encouraged to apply early and before the deadline to receive full consideration.
Are transfer applicants considered for merit-based scholarships?
Yes. All applicants are considered for scholarships. If you are awarded a scholarship, notification will be included in your admission packet and will be incorporated into any need-based award you receive.
When will I hear about my Financial Aid package?
Financial aid information will be emailed to you about a week after your admission offer has been mailed, as long as the Financial Aid Office has all of the required documents to complete your package.
If you are applying for aid, you should complete your FAFSA and CSS PROFILE at the same time you are submitting your transfer admissions application, so that the financial aid process is not delayed. Applicants may need additional supplemental documents to be considered for financial aid.
For more information about review the instructions in how to apply for need-based aid and if you have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
How do I know if my credits will transfer?
A detailed Transfer Credit Evaluation will be included with your admissions packet. Credit is awarded for courses comparable to those offered at Rochester in which you have earned a C or better. Please see the College Center for Advising Services for transfer credit policies.
How long will it take me to complete my degree?
Graduation year and class standing are determined by the number of credit hours granted at the time of enrollment. The table below illustrates the number of credit hours associated with each class standing.
ClassFall TermSpring Term
Depending on a student’s academic program, it may take longer to finish the degree requirements than what their transfer class standing indicates. Students should work with an advisor to ensure that the Rochester Curriculum and specific graduation requirements have been completed. Admitted students are encouraged to have a conversation with an advisor in the College Center for Advising Services.
What is the maximum number of transferrable credits?
A maximum of 64 credit hours from a two-year school may transfer to your Rochester degree requirements. For those who have attended a four-year school, more than 64 credits may be approved for transfer credit, however, students are required to complete at least four semesters of full-time study at Rochester in order to earn an undergraduate degree.
Does Rochester consider applicants who are seeking a second baccalaureate degree?
Yes, a second baccalaureate degree applicant would be considered a transfer applicant. The degree must be in a completely different area of study than the first degree. Students seeking a second BA are generally not encouraged to pursue a second degree, but would be considered case-by-case. You are encouraged to speak with an admissions counselor about your goals.
Can transfer applicants be considered for the New York State Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)?
Yes. To be considered for Rochester's HEOP program, you must currently be enrolled in a HEOP/EOP program and meet regular admission standards as a transfer applicant.
I am interested in a degree in nursing. Can I apply to Rochester?
Yes; however, the nursing program is not an entry-level program. Applicants must have either RN licensure or a bachelor's degree and must apply directly to the School of Nursing. For more information, please contact the School of Nursing.
Is there housing available to transfer students?
On-campus housing is not guaranteed for transfer students. The Office for Residential Life and Housing Services will do its best to house all interested students. On-campus housing options for fall transfers is very limited, there is often more space for transfer on campus during the spring semester. Rochester has many affordable off-campus housing options for students who live off campus. Housing information for transfers can be found here.
  • Video Highlight
  • Oswald
    Student Profile: Renaissance Scholar